XPS 15 L502X : El Capitan

FelixINX

• Moderators

Sorry, looks like this model only support MBR formatted disk unless you have a modded BIOS. First format USB with MBR, create the installer and apply MBR patch after. Assuming you're installing 10.11.5.

The installed drive will have to be formatted with MBR as well.

Hello.

I am new to this forum, but the info and support seems great to guide me through my first hackintosh.

I plan to follow this guide to install OS X El Capitain on my Dell XPS L502X.

My specs are the same as the OP:

i7-2670QM

8GB Ram

Intel HD Graphics 3000

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

I also have access to a Mac.

I was wondering, will I need to change my wifi adapter?

It seems like this guide has worked out the issues graphics, sound, and sleep, is that correct?

Will my webcam work to be able to use FaceTime?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

So my wifi adapter is in fact Intel, so I will need to install a new one.  Is there an optimal adapter that I should purchase for easy configuration and best performance with OS X?

Should I research a modded BIOS to disable the nvida GPU when using OS X?  I have read that without disabling it, it is possible that it is always drawing power which would add heat and decrease my battery life.

Thanks

So I've purchased an OS X OOB compatible wifi card and I modded my Bios.  I still cannot disable the NVidia gpu, but I can't imagine that's a big deal. 

The guide I followed to mod my bios was:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/l502x-modded-bioses-download-gpu-voltages-and-more.635536/

Is there a better mod, or will this one be suffice?

I noticed in the guide that I would need to use clover in legacy mode since my laptop did not support UEFI.  I have the option to enable UEFI, so would this be better?

Secondly, I noticed that I would have to format my usb stick to MBR instead of GUID formatting - unless I had a modded bios.  Since I have the modded bios, what is the best option?

Thanks

• Moderators

since you have modded the BIOS, go ahead and use UEFI/GUID scheme.

Nvidia can be disable with nv_disable=1 in Config.plist. A proper DSDT/SSDT will need to be patched to turn it off later so battery won't drain as fast.

Okay, so I finally attempt this tonight and was not successful. I followed the guide exactly using UEFI/GUID. I used the EFI_clover along with the E6220.zip. I copied the contents of the E6220 to EFI-clover/clover/. I deleted the DDST/SSDT files as per the post. (I forgot the first time so I tried once with and once without). Then I renamed it to EFI and copied it to the EFI partition of the drive.

After I boot into the clover boot loader and select install OS X El Capitan, it starts to boot, but when the bar reached 100%, the white circle backslash pops up and it doesn't proceed.

F4 doesn't seem to get me into an option menu to select "boot without cache", and I am not sure where to add the nv_disable=1 at this point.

Thanks

• Like 1