E7440: no longer boots; displays "Your computer restarted because of a problem" error message

Chevron

Hi Jake,

I have given up trying and gone ahead and rebuilt my USB El Capitan installation drive. I have followed your Dell Latitude El Capitan Clover Guide and latest Posts. I am confident that I have correctly followed the guide up to 2.3. However on hitting F12 during booting I am only given the choice the choice of selecting "UEFI: ScanDisk Cruzer Facet 1.26" which is the USB media name but no choice of "Install OS X El Capitan"

This strange as when I open my USB drive on the Desktop it is titled "Install OS X El Capitan" as it should be. When I go into the BIOS: UEFI is selected in Boot List Option but only UEFI: ScanDisk Cruzer Facet 1.26 is displayed in the Boot Sequence.

When I try and boot clicking UEFI: ScanDisk Cruzer Facet 1.26 I get the Clover screen option Boot Mac OS X from Install OS X El Capitan.  When I then click it the Apple Logo appears and then quickly disappears and then then Dell Logo and it starts again. What am I doing wrong??

• Moderators

I'll update the guide. You should be selecting the USB Installer (depending on your USB device's model), in your case, it's correct.

Not sure why it rebooted, can you go through the boot step again, when you see the Clover GUI, hit spacebar. Then select boot without cache.

Also make sure you have all the files in the correct directory.

HI Jake ,

I'm using the same USB drive I used to install El Capitan before successfully (until I had the issue with the upgrade) and it showed up in the Boot List Options as "Install OS X El Capitan" and not with the USB Media name so I don't understand what has changed and why!!!

Hi Jake,

Please could you confirm if the following is correct for action 1.29 of your guide. The EFI_Clover folder amended as below by the E7440 Folder is then renamed EFI and replaces the EFI Folder in the root of the "EFI partition".

EFI_Clover/BOOT

EFI_Clover/CLOVER
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/CLOVERIA32.efi
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/doc
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/drivers32UEFI
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/misc
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/OEM
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/ACPI - Replaced with ACPI from E7440
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/config.plist - Replaced with config.plist from E7440
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/kexts - Replaced with kexts from E7440 and replace VoodooPS2Controller
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/ROM
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/UEFI
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/ROM
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/themes
EFI_Clover/CLOVER/tools

Several of the above files have Zero bytes are they still required?

Jake forgive me for being pedantic but for the sake of clarity!

1).  I have shown in my previous post replacing the EFI- Clover Folder's ACPI & Kext folders and config. plist file, in their current EFI-Clover folder locations, with the ACPI & Kext folders and config.plist file from E7440 folder so that the renamed EFI_Clover to just EFI has only one set of ACPI & Kext folders and config.plist file.

2). Or are you saying that the E7440 Folders' ACPI & Kext folders and config.plist file should be placed (not replaced) in the EFI-Clover Folder so that there are now in effect 2 sets of ACPI & Kext folders and config.plist files (Generic and E7740 specific) albeit in different locations in EFI_Clover. e.g.: -

EFI-Clover/CLOVER/ACPI and EFI_Clover/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/ACPI

Please confirm which one is correct -1). or 2).

Hi Jake,

Based on trial and error  No. 2). appears to be the answer  - albeit for a novice who doesn't know what he's doing and why,  intuitively this doesn't appear to be right - but it works!!

I have managed to get to 2.6 but for some reason my keyboard doesn't work so can't proceed further. Could this be because I have changed to the latest VoodooPS2Controller as I'm still only installing El Capitan 10.11.1 at this stage, again not fully understanding what VoodooPS2Controller does?

I am keen to learn/understand is there any thing I can read to get a better understanding of what I am doing and why?

• Moderators

Use an USB keyboard to complete the build. No sure why your internal keyboard is not work. VoodooPS2Controller is needed to get your Keyboard, trackstick and trackpad to work. You may use alternative PS2 controller kext but will only get generic mouse and touchpad movement. With the specific VoodooPS2Controller for Alps, you have 2 fingers scrolling, drag and drop...

Though with the same name VoodooPS2Controller (confusing), there are numerous versions specific for Synaptics, Alps, Cypress...etc.

Hi Jake,

I replaced the old VoodooPS2Controller and have got back my keyboard and touch pad. I have now got as far as installation step  2.13  and got the message can't install El Capitan as the Bless tool was unable to to set the current boot disk??