E6410: trouble installing Yosemite when following the guide

sidjohn

• Administrators

I'm not sure this guide is still appropriate… It's quite outdated nowadays.

Why don't you guys follow a more standard and traditional method instead, like for the older D630/D830? It's going to be the same principle and overall fine-tuning for your 1st gen Core CPUs as it were for Core2Duo. What will differ will be FakeSMC tuning, SMBIOS profile and those kexts specific to the E6410 hardware.

'should be something like this:

1) USB installer creation procedure:

• Mount InstallESD.dmg found in Install OS X Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport
  • Then, using Terminal, mount BaseSystem.dmg (hidden file)
open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
  • Use Disk Utility to restore the contents of BaseSystem.dmg on a USB key (or HDD partition) formatted Mac OS extended (journaled).
  • Remove link for Packages in folder System/Installation of your USB key
rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation/Packages
  • Copy folder Packages located in InstallESD.dmg to folder System/Installation of your USB key
cp -R /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation
  • Copy the 2 hidden files (BaseSystem.dmg & Basesystem.chunklist) of InstallESD.dmg to the root of your USB key
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.* /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1

To boot with Chameleon (you can safely use versions r2395, r2401 or r2468):

• Download the appropriate package off InsanelyMac's repo and install Chameleon on the USB installer partition called "OS X Base System"
  • Create a folder "Kernels" under /System/Library of the USB installer and place a copy of the vanilla kernel there as "kernel"
  • Create a folder "Extra" at root of your USB installer and copy the files of the E6410 boot pack there
  • Copy the kexts from the pack to /System/Library/Extensions, repair permissions and rebuild kext cache
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Library/Extensions
sudo /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/usr/sbin/kextcache -Boot -U /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1 -K /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

`

2) Yosemite installation procedure:

• Boot your USB installer and proceed with installation (if prompted for Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, just press [space])
  • Upon completion, reboot your freshly made Yosemite installation via your USB installer and complete 1st boot system configuration

3) Post-installation fine-tuning:

• Install Chameleon bootloader on Yosemite partition
  • ​Copy the Extra folder of your USB installer to your Yosemite partition
  • Copy the kexts of your Extra folder to /S/L/E
  • From Terminal, repair kext permissions and rebuild cache
sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -R 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch /S*/L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
  • From Terminal, adjust Sleep mode
sudo pmset hibernatemode 0
sudo rm -f /var/vm/sleepimage

`

NB: You may prefer to opt for Enoch rather than Chameleon these days. Recent versions such as 2795 are perfect for all recent OS X versions from Mavericks to El Capitan. More recent versions from r2824 fully support Sierra too. Enoch is available at the usual Insanelymac repository.

You may also want to install El Capitan rather than Yosemite. You can follow this D630 guide if you wish, which is just an updated version of the Yosemite procedure.

• Like 1

@Herve Thank you so much for posting this info.

Followed what you had typed above and am installing Yosemite for the first time without using some internet hacked version and no kernel panics.  Through reading I knew I somehow needed to inject and boot from a different kernel to get Yosemite to boot and this guide really helped me to understand the steps.

I applied the OS Package framework fix for MBR since I multi boot Windows

I did get an error about no driver for IOPlatform so I booted with -x and am using built in keyboard and mouse. I will follow up with what did or didn't fix it.

--------------

Ok, I have Yostemite running on my computer... I just upgraded over top of my existing install of Mavericks that I installed using the guide by same author referenced in OP.

After initial boot, I got a mach_kernel not found so I just typed in /System/Library/Kernels/kernel as a boot arg (hitting tab in Chameleon loader), this allowed me to complete the install.  I then ran the script from the Yosemite Guide to copy all kext etc.  It error'd on HDA saying it was a directory so permission error needs to be sorted there.

I don't have updates, but this has to do with something using MyHack or a certain kext that disappeared the serial # ... these are off topic issues so thanks again, follow the above and use the correct kernel and you can't go wrong.  Really helps to have a working OSX install to manipulate files onto the new boot drive - I have Mavericks loading off of a USB3.  I have an E5530 in the mail so looking forward to applying this OS to it as well!

After initial boot, I got a mach_kernel not found so I just typed in /System/Library/Kernels/kernel as a boot arg (hitting tab in Chameleon loader), this allowed me to complete the install.

I have the same problem. Could you explain me more clearly how to do write this in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file? Sorry, I am just following the installing steps but have no deeper knowledge.

• Administrators

Older Chameleon version look for the older form of Mac OS X kernel as "mach_kernel" at partition root. You can either use Chameleon Wizard to specify the newer location in a much easier way than writing it manually in o.c.B.

Alternatively, switch to a more recent version of Chameleon or to Enoch, these will have no issue with the new kernel location and naming convention as "kernel" in /S/L/K.

• Administrators

'never ever seen such a KP before. I have absolutely no idea!

You should be using MacBookPro6,1 SMBIOS (Arrandale) though, not MBP8,1 (SandyBridge...). What version of Chameleon did you install on that USB installer?