E6410: trouble installing Yosemite when following the guide

sidjohn

Couldn't find a download for r2468 so I tried the following:

- Chameleon 2.3 r2487
Also fail but I got an extra addition in the last lines (see screenshot)

- Chameleon_v2.3svn r2437
Also fail

- Enoch r2839
Boot doensn't go far. Quickly stops (no reading of extentions?)

In general it still mentions MacbookPro8,1 every time I boot.
Could that have anything to do that I have put in a hard disk from a macbook in the dell?
I formatted (OS ext journalled) ofcourse before installing (AHCI check VirtSupp uncheck)

post-96524-0-76922500-1473603666_thumb.jpg

post-96524-0-70544100-1473603687_thumb.jpg

post-96524-0-18068400-1473603724_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

You're still trying to boot your USB installer, right? If so, your SMBIOS definition is in the /Extra folder.

I suggest you install Enoch r2839 (latest at time of writing) and upload a zipped copy of your full /Extra folder. It looks like it needs a good review...

Yes, I am booting form the USB key.

I just did a clean install on the USB key.

When I follow the above procedure, there is 2 points which are not clear.
1) The 6410 boot pack contains a "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" and the enoch/chameleon installers also install such a file in the Extra folder. I left the simple one form the enoch installer.

2) When copying the kext files to the S/L/E folder, these files already exist. So I replace/overwrite.

Booting from the fresh USB, with Enoch-rev.2839 installed, the booting process stops very soon. Adding an -f flag doesn't resolve the issue.
Although I don't remember doing something different with the previous USB install, this time it does mention MacBookPro6,2 at the end of the booting process. Attached the screenshot and the zipped Extra folder.

ps. hey, with flash on, the screenshot is a lot more easy to read :-)

Extra.zip

post-96524-0-90068700-1473712981_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Enoch is a branch of Chameleon, so it still uses the /Extra folder, the o.c.B. plist and smbios plist and all the rest (subfolders Themes, modules, etc.). However, Enoch has adopted enhanced features compared to good old Chameleon:

1. kexts placed in /Extra/Extensions (/E/E) will be injected at boot time if boot option KernelBooter_kexts=Yes is used; otherwise, they're ignored
  2. add-on kexts should be installed to /Library/Extensions (/L/E) or, if required, /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) from where they can be cached
  3. Enoch now makes use a kernel.plist file where you can specify additional kernel patching parameters such as kernel power management (for Haswell CPUs and beyond, SIP disabling values, etc). The complete list and explanation are available in the Chameleon/Enoch thread at InsanelyMac.
  4. For El Capitan and beyond, SIP can be disabled through CsrActiveConfig parameter which need to be set to the desired value (3 for instance)

When you copy kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E, you must repair permissions:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*

then rebuild your cache:

sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

If you get errors, repeat these last 3 commands. Obviously you can restrict permissions repair + touch commands to the folder you've updated.

If you place your add-on kexts to /L/E (which you should) and attempt to boot without cache, then /L/E is ignored. You'll quickly understand that, in such a case, missing FakeSMC is going to lead to trouble so you must cater for this. This is why one should always keep a copy of all add-on kexts to /E/E (including the almighty NullCPUPowerManagement), from where they can be called through the following set of boot flags and parameters for instance: KernelBooter_kexts=Yes -f -v. Kexts placed in /E/E do not need any permissions repair, they will be used as is.

• Administrators

I've also revised your /Extra folder as it did not seem adequate/correct for its purposes:

1. removed kexts NullCPUPM + Patched_10.7_AppleRTC (used for Lion) + AppleACPIPlatform v1.5 (from ML?) kexts that are not required imo
  2. configured kernel cache + built-in Eth + laptop computer type + P&C States generation (for native CPU speedstep) + GraphicsEnabler boot options
  3. added the kernel.plist used by Enoch, even if options are kept to no (may come useful if you move to EC or Sierra)
  4. added an updated Themes folder to get nice bootloader icons for Mav/Yos/EC/Sierra (that's totally optional)
  5. added boot option kext-dev-mode=1, which is necessary for Yosemite

Try it and report accordingly.

Herve_revised_E6410_Extra.zip

When you copy kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E, you must repair permissions:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*

then rebuild your cache:

sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

If you place your add-on kexts to /L/E (which you should) and attempt to boot without cache, then /L/E is ignored. You'll quickly understand that, in such a case, missing FakeSMC is going to lead to trouble so you must cater for this. This is why one should always keep a copy of all add-on kexts to /E/E (including the almighty NullCPUPowerManagement), from where they can be called through the following set of boot flags and parameters for instance: KernelBooter_kexts=Yes -f -v.

Some things are not so clear to me. Sorry, things have to be made idiot-proof for me.

- It's not so clear now if you talking about the copying of the add-on kexts in your above "3. Post-installation fine-tuning" step or the "1. USB installer creation procedure".

So, in your step "1. USB installer creation procedure" should I just copy the add-on kexts only to the S/L/E or also to the L/E folder?

Your terminal commands of your last post, resemble the ones of step 3 "Post-installation fine-tuning". Or should appropriate destination directories of the USBkey be added to them?

- in your Herve_revised_E6410_Extra , the "NullCPUPowerManagement" is in the 'Extra/RemovedExtensions' folder. While above you write that it should be in E/E. Do I have to copy it also to  /L/E & /S/L/E?

Merci!

Ah, I see. You're right.

So...
- I followed your Chameleon procedure of above up until the 'copying of the 2 hidden files'
- Installed the latest Enoch (Enoch-rev.2839)
- Copied the content of your revised Extra folder to the USB stick (replacing the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" the Enoch installer created)
- I placed the extensions from you revised Extra folder in /L/E (without the NullCPUPowerManagement)
- not sure if I had to place the extensions also in /S/L/E so I didn't.
- created a 'kernels' folder in /S/L and placed the appropriate vanilla kernel
- repaired the permissions and rebuild cache, after going to the USB key directory (hope that this is the correct way?)
cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1
sudo chmod -R 755 /L*/E*

sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

- The last command didn't work however. I attached the screenshot.
Since rebuilding of the cache didn't work, I added the KernelBooter_kexts=Yes boot flag in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist
- When booting the E6410 from the USB key, I got an error…
(sceenshot attached)

post-96524-0-39441400-1473888755_thumb.jpg

Hi Hervé!

It's been a long time but I like to give it another try...

Replace kextcache command by:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

When I use that command I get 3 times the following message/error in terminal:

JMicronATA.kext does not declare a kernel dependency; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

Do you have any other suggestion?

post-96524-0-03397100-1480524087_thumb.png