Point Noob To the Best Install Guide for a Latitude E6430

russmcb

Apologies for the noob questions. I'm looking for help getting oriented in my attempt to get El Capitan running on my Dell Latitude E6430 (i7-3740QM + Nvidia NVS 5200M + 1504 b/g/n).

I'm seeing a lot of different guides and techniques for getting the job done and I'm fairly disoriented. What is my best guide?

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6372-dell-latitude-5x30-6x30-clover-install-guide/ ?

Again, I'm not familiar with the techniques or approaches available here. Any better/current/more relevant guides are appreciated, especially general overview descriptions to give me a lay of the land.

My general approach is to first: 

1) replace the existing optical drive with a hard drive caddy and a 1TB Seagate SSHD

2) replace the existing (apparently incompatible-?) 1504 wifi card with a Atheros AR9280

3) get the proper drivers installed and make sure the new hardware is working in Windows

Then the plan is to start on the OS X install on the 1TB drive to create a dual-boot system.

I gather I've got an Intel HD 4000 graphics processor built into the CPU (??) in addition to an Nvidia NVS 5200M and that I should disable the Nvidia and just use Intel processor--?. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

• Administrators

they both have info that will help you like jakes guide informing about the issues with bios versions and video corruption but my hack will not work on latest os. pokens guid helps with clover but it is probably an outdated version then whats current. a lot of changes in clover over the years.there is also this guide by herve with is the newest of the 3 that is the same hardware family as yours but his does not have the nvidia option. so simple and straight forward i guess not. I'm sure there is more info scattered around the site but not all in the same basket and also here we have boot packs for the e6530 with your graphics http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/compatibility/looks to have chameleon and clover boot packs at different os versions.

O.k., Hervé, I'll try the above.

Quick question about directory naming:

I'm following the 2nd post there describing how to set up the bootpack which = the generic EFI_CLOVER + Model-specific directory. When done I've got:

EFI/BOOT/...

/CLOVER/E6430/...

Do I need to rename my model-specific directory to something else? Or does the directory name here not make a difference?

Thanks

Well, I'm getting the OSXAptipFixDrv: Error  Requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block.

I tried replacing the AppleHDA_IDT.kext as suggested in the updates for El Cap 10.11.4 and 10.11.5. No luck.

I also tried adding some more boot flags, which brings me to a question: I don't see any of the boot flags listed in the config file when the installer comes up which makes me wonder if they're are actually being loaded--??

I see this OSXAptipFixDrv error has come up for a lot of people but I don't see a definitive solution. Hmm... maybe I'll go through the process from scratch again later.

Just saw your post R-N-D. Thanks! I thought that seemed weird.... Will try now...

Well that was surprisingly successful!! I've got an OS X install screen! But the install itself will have to wait until I get a new HD caddy for the new drive.... And I've even got a working trackpad! Psyched!

Thanks for the help!!

The directions on Jake's post should be updated to specify:

1- that the *contents* of your model-specific folder need to go into /CLOVER/

2- and that those kexts from you model-specific folder in kexts/other/ need to go into Library/Extensions/ of the install partition

• Moderators

1- that the *contents* of your model-specific folder need to go into /CLOVER/

Download model below and add it into the Generic /EFI_Clover/Clover  folder now changed to:

Download model below and add the contents into the Generic /EFI_Clover/Clover  folder

2- and that those kexts from you model-specific folder in kexts/other/ need to go into Library/Extensions/ of the install partition

that's in the install guide above the bootpack sections. Only kexts in Clover/Kexts/LE, not in Kexts, those can run kept there

7. Copy kexts from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/LE to /Library/Extensions of Macintosh SSD

Note: Ignore warning/error messages and click OK, then run commands below.

Jake, thanks for all the work! Let me know if I can contribute or help in some way.

I haven't gotten to step #3 yet (waiting for an SSHD to arrive where El Cap will be installed). I misunderstood Bronxteck as suggesting that those kexts should be placed into the System/Libary/ folder of the "Install OS X El Capitan" partition (rather than onto the Hard Drive post-installation). But putting them onto the install partition didn't seem to hurt.

It might help to include an updated screen shot of the new Disk Utility app doing it's job, instead of the old one--let me know and I can send you a screen shot.

Questions:

1- Do you think, per the suggested El Cap 11.4 and 11.5 updates, that I'll need to update the VoodooPS2Controller kext and the AppleHDA_IDT kext (for Exx30 laptops like mine)? I already changed the latter in my EFI folder... which maybe I shouldn't have done.... Or have you already updated the model-specific folders with these changes?

2- I bought an Atheros AR9280 on expectation that my existing wireless card (Dell 1504) will not work. Should I bother seeing if wireless works with the existing card or just swap out for the Atheros on the expectation that it won't work?

3- Shall I expect sleep/wake issues?

Thanks again,

Russ