Help with installing Lion on D830

barbecue

Greetings!

I would very much like to put Lion on my D830 (T7300, WSXGA+, X3100, 2GB Ram, Intel 4965 wireless, touchpad w/ fingerprint reader). I choose Lion because the compatibility guide (http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/compatibility/) suggested that I run either that or 10.6, and I have some software I would like to use that requires at least Lion. 

I decided to try a Chameleon install, mainly because the Clover links seem to be dead and I happen to have access to an OSX computer. I performed the following steps

1) Downloaded myHack.app

2) Downloaded Lion's "Install ESD.dmg"

3) Downloaded the chameleon bootpack from the compatibility page.

4) Followed the pre-installation instructions for Chameleon from (http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/documentation/pre-installation/)

5) Selected "No" when asked if I wanted the MBR patch (thus selecting GUID).

6) myHack ran for a while longer, then finished (without asking me about extras like the guide implies it should). I opened up myHack a second time and selected an option to add Extras from the menu, and added the bookpack from the compatibility page.

7) I checked my BIOS settings against this thread (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1901-bios-settings-d830/). I should mention that I have BIOS version A01, and have not updated it yet. 

8) Attempted to boot to the USB stick. The initial screen where you can type in boot options loads, but I have not yet been able to get as far as the graphical part of the installer (where you can do disk formatting, etc) due to kernel panic (see attached image). I have tried booting using -x, which I believe is supposed to be "safe mode", but it didn't help.

I took a quick look around the myHack page and these forums searching for terms I saw on the screen, but I didn't find any exact matches and I don't have enough experience to be able to interpret if the fixes that worked for other people would be applicable to my situation. I'm also not quite sure what the problem is - the stack trace says something about "AirPort" so I tried the install again with the wifi switch turned off, but that did not seem to change anything. Higher up, there is also a mention of "Super IODevice: [Fatal] found unsupported chip", not sure how to interpret that. 

I should also mention a couple other things: First, I have a wifi card I took out of a broken macbook laying around somewhere, but have not bothered installing it in the D830 yet because I read that perhaps I could get the Intel card working by editing some files and thought it worth a shot. Second, I only have 2GB ram installed, but I plan on upgrading it to 4GB if I can successfully get OSX running on the machine. 

Any help would be wonderful! Thanks!

post-94885-0-72889900-1466187620_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

You have a KP because your D830 is fitted with an Intel wireless card (no Intel card is supported, it has to be replaced) whilst the DSDT is configured for a Broadcom-based DW1395:

Device (ARPT)
               {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                    Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
                    {
                        0x09, 
                        0x04
                    })
                    OperationRegion (SVID, PCI_Config, Zero, 0xF0)
                    Field (SVID, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                    {
                        Offset (0x2C), 
                        SUBS,   32
                    }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x10)
                            {
                                "device-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x11, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00                         
                                }, 

"name", 
                                Buffer (0x0D)
                                {
                                    "pci14e4,4311"
                                }, 

"AAPL,slot-name", 
                                Buffer (0x08)
                                {
                                    "AirPort"
                                }, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00                         
                                }, 

"subsystem-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x88, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                                }, 

"model", 
                                Buffer (0x13)
                                {
                                    "Dell Wireless 1395"
                                }, 

"device_type", 
                                Buffer (0x08)
                                {
                                    "Airport"
                                }, 

"built-in", 
                                Buffer (One)
                                {
                                     0x00                                           
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
Either disable your wireless card in BIOS (which you really should update to A15 version) or use the revised DSDT below where ARPT device bears no _DSM method any more.

Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate your help.

Sounds like I should swap out the intel wireless card for the one I pulled out of the broken macbook pro - I don't have it with me at the moment, so I don't know any specifics about it other then it came from a 2009 model.

After reading your post, I read up some on the DSDT file from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278170-dsdt-%E2%80%94-what-is-it-and-how-do-i-get-it/.

The DSDT files seem specific to hardware configurations - any recommendations for acquiring/making a DSDT file with the airport cards device information inside it?

Re: Bios Version

Just a few minutes ago I acquired a USB drive that boots DOS so I can flash the BIOS when I get home.

Ok - I've made some progress.

In an attempt to simplify things (for the moment) I pulled the Intel wireless card out, but have not put the Atheros Card in yet.

I was able to boot from the usb drive all the way to the graphical installer where I was able to successfully partition the hard disk. Made it all the way through the install process, installed the Extras, and answered "yes" to all the questions about removing various things that will cause problems. Removed USB drive and rebooted, and now all I see is a flashing cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. Any idea what the problem is now? (Question on the side - do you have any preference about opening a new thread to address this new problem / future problems, or should I just keep working off this single thread?)

Not sure if it is related, but I have still not been able to update my BIOS yet - turns out dell's are smarter then the average bear and won't let you try to flash the bios without a working battery. Which is probably for the best… a new battery has been ordered.

Once I manage to get the system to boot from the hard disk, I plan on adding the Atheros card into the system. This is my first time "patching kext files" - so if you can check my understanding that would be awesome. According to the notes below the device compatibility table you linked to it says that patching means "adding the PCI ids into the Info.plist of the listed kext." I found an Atheros40 file at "/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/" - presumably this is the correct file. Inside the Info.plist are the lines
    <key>IONameMatch</key>
    <array>
        <string>pci168c,30</string>
        <string>pci168c,2a</string>
    </array>
According to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/277344-what-is-a-kext-and-how-do-you-install-and-patch-it/, and based on the "ven-dev id" from the table, it sounds like I should change those lines to
    <key>IONameMatch</key>
    <array>
        <string>pci168c,24</string>
    </array>
Or possibly add that new string to the bottom of the existing list? Finally, it sounds like so long as the file permissions are correct I should just edit the file in place on the installed system (after making a backup of the original) and reboot? Do I have it right, or is there a different process I should be following?

I know I keep repeating myself - but I really appreciate you taking the time to lend me a hand here. I'm really excited about getting this thing working!

• Administrators

You do not boot from hard disc because myHack did not install Chameleon on it. Boot your fresh Lion installation through the USB key (interrupt bootstrap with any key or F8, then select your Lion HDD partition) and re-run myHack to install Chameleon on your HDD Lion partition. Failing that, download a Chameleon version such as r2395/r2401 off InsanelyMac (these older version are 100% safe on D Series)

You don't need the battery to update your BIOS. Search the forum for BIOS update procedure (needs an extracted .hdr file on an empty USB key and no battery all...).

Re: kext patching for your Atheros card, yes you got that right. Just add your own id at the bottom of the existing list. Alternatively you may try to declare it as "compatible" with an existing card in your DSDT. The former is possibly easier than the latter but is not update/upgrade safe. The latter is applicable to any OS X/Mac Os version and therefore supports the wireless card OOB in the long term.

Thanks for the tip about extracting the HDR file method of updating the bios. I will look into that.

Using the usb stick, I booted the hard drive for the first time into safe mode (accidentally - that's what I had to do to get the usb installer to boot). The system came up and I went through the account creation process. Once that completed and I logged in, I tried to run myHack. It told me that it could not run in safe mode, and that if the system can not boot normally to try it from the usb installer. I rebooted the system using the usb stick and booted the hard drive again, but without using safe mode. It hung while booting - the last two lines of output are

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized.

I rebooted to the usb installer and ran myhack to install chameleon on the HDD from the utilities menu. Now I can boot to the hard drive directly, but only using safe mode. Attempting to boot normally causes the system to hang the same way I saw earlier. Ive included a screen shot.

post-94885-0-84657300-1466284050_thumb.jpg

Ok, BIOS updated to A15 using the dell bios recovery method...

Just to document the process of what I did... I basically followed the instructions from https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7691-problems-with-dell-d630-no-qe-ci-bios-a09/?hl=hdr&do=findComment&comment=47171

Still have the earlier problem where I can't boot normally though. But it seems like we are making progress!