Help with installing Lion on D830

barbecue

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok - using the D630 HiRes full pack allowed me to boot from the HDD without needing safe mode. Now the problem seems to be with mouse input - neither the touchpad or a usb mouse I plugged in were working properly. With the usb mouse, the left click button did nothing - instead the scroll wheel was acting like a left click sometimes (but not always). The touchpad was behaving extremely erratically, i'm not even sure how I would describe it.

Are there some kext files from the D830 bootpack that I can mix into the D630 fullpack to fix these problems?

Hmmmmm. So shortly after I posted my last response I realized that I had used the D630 Fullpack slightly differently from the way I had been using the D830 bootpacks. I had been putting the extras on the usb stick by running myHack, selecting the usb drive as a target, and selecting "install extras". Then I would select the extras folder I had downloaded and "install" them to the usb drive. Then I would plug the usb drive into the target machine, boot to it, and select "install extras" with the target being the local hard drive.

This time, I wasn't paying attemtion and I simply dragged and dropped the Extras file onto the usb stick, then did the "install extras" on the target machine. That got me thinking that probably I should not have been "installing" the extras to the usb drive in the first place. So I just went back and tried the same procedure (drag and drop the extras) with the D830 LoRes bootpack. Using the D830 bootpack, I get past the verbose boot where I had previously been getting stuck - until the screen goes black (although I can tell the backlight is on). I have the WSXGA+ screen instead of the WXGA screen, so maybe that is related?

At any rate, it seems likely that some combination of the two sets of files will work. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Success! Winning formula so far...

I used the D630 HiRes Lion Fullpack, but replaced its DSDT file with the one from the D830 bootpack on the compatibility page. I then dragged and dropped the directory onto the usb installer, booted the usb installer, and used myhack to "install extras" to the hard disk. Now my hard drive boots without needing safe mode, I have video, sound, ethernet, working mouse and keyboard.

It looks like the Install ESD I used was for 10.7.2. I would like to update to 10.7.5 - Is there a safe way to do this? Can this be accomplished using the auto update or combo updater? Also, will I need to use myHack to reinstall chameleon or extras after the update?

Thanks

Excellent - thanks for the advice!

I did the update and ran myHack/myFix as you suggested and everything went smoothly. I'm testing things now to see if I run into any issues, but thank you so much to Herve (especially) and Jake Lo for all your help! I need to wait until my next paycheck, but I plan to donate to you guys and support this effort!

Ok, so there seems to be a few remaining problems.

Something is not happy with power management. The computer will not go to "sleep" and "wake" up properly. Closing the lid causes the computer to turn off, but opening the lid does nothing. Instead, after going to "sleep" you have to press the power button and the computer cold boots (with some errors). That is, the dell logo shows up, you have to press F1, you see the OSXLatitude boot screen, then the white apple screen, etc.  Additionally, the controls in preference panel about how long to wait before putting the screen and computer to sleep don't seem to have much effect. I set the computer to never go to sleep while on the charger (due to the previously mentioned problem), but sometime during the middle of the night it turned off anyways. Also, I have set the screen to not turn off for 30 minutes, but it turns off (not just goes dim) much earlier.

I found this page (http://www.osxlatitude.com/getting-osx-sleep-to-work-on-your-dell-latitude/) but have not yet tried it's suggestions. Is this still relevant/recommended? What is the purpose of creating and then removing /var/vm/sleepimage?

On the D630 Fullpacks thread they suggest running the following commands for Chameleon based installations:

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

I have not yet done this as I was not sure if it applied to the D8xx and things seemed to be working ok. Is this necessary / would this help fix the issue? Would it hurt to try?

Finally, sometimes after booting the mouse input gets all confused. It will work fine at the password screen, but afterwords both the trackpad and mouse will become extremely jumpy and the buttons won't work correctly. Restarting the computer seems to fix the problem, at least for a few more reboots until it happens again.

I'd appreciate any advice I could get!

• Administrators

On a D830, you need to disable hibernation as per the 3 command lines you found in that linked article. You do not need the BIOS password, that only applies to the GM945 chipset models (D430/D620/D820/etc.). Make sure you do not use NullCPUPowerManagement kext (normally, you don't).

The above commands you posted are only applicable when you make changes to kexts. They repair permissions and rebuild the kext cache.