e6220 almost perfect El Capitan - Windows 10 dual boot: need little help

moonman

Okay, have an almost perfect dual boot on my e6220 with El Capitan and Windows 10. 

Followed Herve's guide using Enoch latest version. 

Installed El Capitan and everything worked but Sound, but then installed a modified kext and it's working well. 

Created a MSDOS partition, installed Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10. All went okay. Booted from USB and installed Enoch to 10.11 partition. 

BUT, at this point, can boot into El Capitan, which then works perfectly, only with -f boot flag. Without -f I get the KP you can see in the screenshot. 

Also, closing lid to sleep doesn't work. I have to do a force restart. 

Any help greatly appreciated, especially for the -f boot flag problem. 

I've reinstalled 10.11 several times and finally have a good system running, so hope that it only needs minor tweaks at this point. 

post-134-0-71689300-1467359737_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

If you can boot EC with -f flag (i.e. without cache), try to rebuild your cache once booted up:

sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Which version of Enoch are you running? You can safely use any recent version, including latest version r2839 posted at IM.

One cautious thing you can do is to keep all working kexts in /E/E as a rollback in case you screw things up at some point. Kexts in /E/E can safely be injected at boot time and in safe mode through the following Enoch parameter+flag set:

KernelBooter_kexts=Yes -f

Add -v for verbose mode.

Okay, just to add more info. 

I am running 10.11.5

I tried the 4k sector boot fix and I think it installed okay. But is that maybe the problem? I don't understand where the problem is in the screenshot. 

I have tried different VoodooPS2 kexts that were listed in the e6xxx forums. Still KPs.

I tried the ApplePS2 kext. Still KP. And like everybody says, you lose trackpad functions. 

There are no VoodooPS2 or ApplePS2 in S/L/E.

I always installed kexts with Kext Wizard and repaired permissions after with Terminal. 

Like before, I can boot okay with -f -v. 

Just a quick info. If I can't find and solve the KP problem, what is the longer term effects of booting with -f? Will it create problems? And if I set it via Enoch to always boot with -f?

Thanks Herve. 

Yes, I always rebuild cache that way in terminal when I made changes. 

At one point I couldn't boot even with -f but I booted with USB installer and copied the working Extra via terminal. 

I've tried different VoodooPS2, which many people had problems with, but no change. I downloaded one that you posted, but no change there too. 

I started to remove some software I installed. First was Little Snitch, which adds a lot of stuff in extensions. But no change. 

• Administrators

Where did you install your add-on kexts? /S/L/E or /L/E? Maybe Kext Wizard does not work well in EC 10.11.5. Personally, I've not used tools like this for years.

I'd invite you to follow the manual method described in the guide you followed, starting with permissions repair:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

This method pretty much garantees good cache rebuild. if you encounter errors (it can happen and that's why I prefer the manual method to tools like Kext Wizard), retype the last 3 x commands.

Booting without cache is "just" a lot slower than with it; that's about it.

Okay, i'll try later. 

I've used those terminal commands every time, even after installing kexts with kext wizard. 

Does the order matter? I did all the sudo commands for /L*/E* first, then repeated them again for /S*/L*/E*. Not doing them together like in your example. 

Anyway, I'll try. Thanks.

To answer your questions. I read here that VoodooPS2 causes KP so I tried 2 different ones provided here in the forum, including yours. I replaced the VoodooPS2 that was in my Extra installation, and also put it in /L/E. There wasn't the Voodoo or ApplePS2 in /S/L/E/. Then I rebuilt cache with terminal commands. 

• Administrators

The order of the permissions repair commands (sudo chmod/sudo chown) does not matter as long as they're done ahead of the sudo touch commands (their own order does not matter either) and the final sudo kextcache command.

Okay. I went with the VoodooPS2, version 1.8.9 which I think is the one posted here in the forums that people have used to solve KP problems. I then ran the terminal commands. 

I also checked the -f flag in Enoch and left it when booting. No KP. I hope to find out the problem sooner or later.

I ran the terminal commands to disable hibernation and sleep seems to work better too, but I will do more testing about sleep by closing the lid.

One final little point: when the boot is about to finish, about the last 5 seconds, the display graphics get all scrambled for the final seconds, then the progress bar completes and I am at the desktop, where everything is good. Is there a setting I can use at boot to avoid this?