HP Probook 6550b El Capitan

griftopia

So I started with my second laptop with Intel HD Graphics (after Lenovo T510 fiasco of sorts). I used bare minimum kexts and managed to install 10.11.3. Then before I tried fixing anything else like QE/CI, I went ahead and installed 10.11.5 (1000e kext for Ethernet helped here)

I tried using UEFI with Clover. After 2 weeks I gave up. Just using BIOS.

I tried patching DSDT, but it was complete disaster. Googling told me DSDT was not really needed for initial installation. So my install is NOT using any DSDT at this time. These are outstanding issues, I'm listing how I plan to solve. Appreciate any help if I'm proceeding incorrectly.

1) QE/CI - I did this before once, so I'm not expecting trouble. Resolution is 1360x768 so one of the SingleLink kexts should work.

2) Trackpad does not work. Using USB mouse. Will try with VoodooPS2 kext (hopefully it will not break keyboard).  Incidently, laptop will not boot with USB mouse plugged in - gives garbled screen, but I can boot then connect USB mouse and it works. Would like to know reason

3) Wifi Card - I have a DW 1520. I think it should not be whitelisted out. Would appreciate confirmation.

4) Sleep - Simply blanks screen, never goes to sleep. Thinking for *this* I might need DSDT patch.

5) Need to identify correct battery manager kext. Tried a few, but resulted in unbootable laptop. I feel good about figuring this out eventually, but if someone encountered problem with this particular laptop.

Will update signature shortly with specs of laptop.

Thanks for reading.

Guys, I dunno why, but I'm having some trouble booting into OS after installing Clover on the Hard Drive.

Like I said, I installed 10.11.3 then upgraded to 10.11.5 no sweat. Before I fixed all my peripherals I thought I would first install Clover to HD so I don't have to deal with USB stick. I copied my conflg.plist and kexts to EFI on Hard Disk.

I remove the USB stick and thought I would boot to straight to HD now. Hangs without any feedback. I'm about to start over, but I'm worried I'm going to hit the same roadblock. Is there something I'm forgetting after installing Clover on the Hard Disk? Some option?

• Administrators

I had a similar issue. My bios would only load a boot loader from EFI/Microsoft/Boot so I had to put clover BOOTX64.efi in there and rename it to bootmgfw.efi but I also had an existing windows 10 install so I had to rename bootmgfw.efi that was there to bootmgfw-orig.efi for my windows to work with clover. If you don't have windows installed already you can make the folder paths and try.

Bronxteck, I have the same exact issue.

First, my problem was that my USB got corrupted. Basically I started receiving I/O failure errors.

So I created new USB and installed 10.11.3. I already have Windows installed on second partition. I have since upgraded to 10.11.5 and fixed QE/CI and sound with VoodooHDA.  DVD error went away too. I am thinking DW 1520 won't work and I need new Wifi. Right now need to be able to boot from Hard Disk without USB before I do anything else.

Like you said, even after I installed Clover to the first Hard Disk partition, BIOS will boot to Windows.

I'm trying to understand what you said about copying/renaming boot files but I don't see any Microsoft folder. If you don't mind can you please post your folder structure? I think I'll need to do something similar to what you did. Else I have to use UEFI, which means Windows install is botched and I could never install with UEFI anyways so I had disabled in first place.

Awaiting your reply on folder structure. Not sure where I find /EFI/boot/Microsoft folder. I don't see it. Am I supposed to create it? And where do I find bootmgfw.efi?

• Administrators

Oh. Shit I guess I forgot to mention I'm on UEFI lol damn sorry I saw you mention clover and figured it was UEFI.... My bad. 

I will post the structure and the efi files maybe they will work for you in uefi mode I used an alias shortcut for bootmgfw.efi so that when you update clover it uses whats in clovers Boot folder. I thinned it down a lot as it did not fit but the windows 10 Microsoft folder is intact and so are the clover binary's, it is current trunk 3579 hope it boots for you. Obviously you will need to add the missing clover folder entries with yours.

Test to see if windows will now boot UEFI with my files.

EFI.zip

• Like 1

Sigh. Okay. I will try installing with UEFI, I guess there's no option. Hopefully I don't even encounter the same problem again, but if I do, at least I can try what you said.

One question. Should I update to the latest BIOS available? I'm at BIOS Revision 68CDF Ver. F.04. BIOS Date 10/27/2010. I have no idea what that means.

I solved my problem. Install boot0ss instead of boot0af when installing on the Hard Disk. For some reason, with this install, Windows Partition has to stay primary. I recall with my T510, I had same issue, but all I had to do was go into Windows and make the MacOS partition primary and it had worked. However, this time around I was unable to set Mac OS partition as primary from Windows. Anyways...Phew! Beats having to redo everything with UEFI (which I never got to work in first place).

Update on remaining items

1) While I got the correct broadcom chip on my wifi card, I don't think DW 1520 works with HP. I need to buy different card. Appreciate insight into whether I should specifically check it works with HP machines, or something else. Don't want to keep shelling out cash for stuff that does not work.

2) I've looked high and low for DSDT patches for this laptop. Can't find a single post anywhere. I need to fix Sleep obviously. If anyone can point me to correct patches to use.

3) Camera not recognized by Image Capture. System Information does show it. Photobooth shows it. Thinking once again DSDT issue?

4) SD Card (would be a nice bonus for once) which I'm thinking is DSDT.

Remaining things like brightness control, etc. I'll fiddle around with, but right now only the above are important for usability of laptop.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

All right folks. Am quite happy with my handiwork. Brightness/Backlight/Controls work. SLEEP works! Laptop will go to standby on lid close. On lid open it does not, but I can hit power button and back comes the display. Marvelous. On top of that USB works before and after sleep/wake. Nice especially if i need usb for wifi

So Right now all I need is reference to wifi card that works with this laptop. I already purchased a BCM card that was not Dell branded (like DW 1520) but that also did not work. The laptop will not even go to BIOS and tells me I have incompatible device. So if someone can please refer me to a BCM or ATH wifi card. 

PS - One hitch. Instant wake from sleep was from HDEF and ECH2, which I think is my WebCam/Mic and SD Card. The latter I don't care about, but losing Camera makes me sad. On resume from sleep, Camera and Mic don't work until I reboot. Not a biggie since how many times does one keep using both. However if anyone can help with that would appreciate it.

Attaching my files if someone can offer assistance.

config_dsdt.zip

IORegDump.zip

• Like 1