E5530 Wake from Sleep

dpw95

I have an E5530 running El Capitan.  When it goes into sleep mode, I have found that I cannot get it to wake.

While the power button light fades in and out to reflect that the machine is sleeping, if I press it, the unit just turns off altogether.

Any ideas for how to remedy this, per chance?

Thanks as always!

• Moderators

Try repatching your DSDT/SSDT with your current BIOS version and configuration.

Boot to Clover GUI, hit f4. The patch the vanilla DSDT from the Origin folder.

If you need help with that, please post the Origin folder after extraction.

• Administrators

If your laptop is fitted with HD3000 iGPU only and no discrete GPU, try the attached patched table. To test it, keep your existing patched table in place, copy this new patched table to your EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder (i.e. next to the existing DSDT) and call this new "DSDT2.aml" table manually at Clover boot time through the menu.

DSDT2.aml.zip

Modifications done:

• Renamed integrated GPU device "VID" @00020000 to "IGPU"
  • Injected Capri layout 0x01660003 into device IGPU through _DSM method
  • Removed all _PRW methods declared under Scope (_SB.PCI0.EHC1), Scope (_SB.PCI0.EHC2) and Scope (_SB.PCI0.XHC)
  • Injected new _PRW methods directly under Device (EHC1), Device (EHC2) and Device (XHC)
  • Set _PRW methods of devices GLAN, EHC1, EHC2 and XHC to return (0x0D, Zero)
  • Injected current (power) settings into devices EHC1, EHC2 and XHC through _DSM methods

You may also post your existing patched DSDT table for comparison.

Can you also advise on your current CPU power management settings, i.e. did you:

1. set your SMBIOS to MacBookPro9,2 or MacBookAir5,2?
  2. apply AsusAICPUPM patch in Clover config or patch AICPUPM kext in /S/L/E?
  3. generate your CPU-specific power management SSDT with Pike R Alpha's SSDT generator?

My DSDT is attached here.

I tried your DSDT2 file.  When I would put the laptop to sleep, it only seemed to turn off the screen without ever truly dropping to sleep mode.  One tap of a key and the screen would immediately come back on.

Addressing your three questions:

1) yes

2) yes

3) I've not tried that, and am not at all familiar with what the process would be for that.

Thanks again so much!

I'm starting to wonder if this will be resolved right when Sierra drops, where new adventures with that will commence, haha.

DSDT.aml.zip

Thanks Jake.  Those three commands didn't lead to anything different.  The laptop still just reboots when I attempt to wake from sleep.

I'm still interested in what Herve's suggestion about Pike R Alpha's SSDT generator would entail.

Here are entries from my system log about wake:

Sep  3 10:13:26 E5530 WindowServer[374]: CGXDisplayDidWakeNotification [137229513914842]: posting kCGSDisplayDidWake
Sep  3 10:13:51 E5530 apsd[78]: Peer [pid=27915] requested push wake but lacks APSPushWakeEntitlement
Sep  3 10:14:19 E5530 apsd[78]: Attempt to set push wake topics without dark wake enabled: ()
Sep  3 10:14:19 E5530 apsd[78]: Attempt to set push wake topics without dark wake enabled: ()
Sep  3 10:18:04 E5530 kernel[0]: Opened file /var/log/SleepWakeStacks.bin, size 172032, extents 1, maxio 2000000 ssd 1
Sep  3 10:19:18 E5530 apsd[74]: Attempt to set push wake topics without dark wake enabled: ()
Sep  3 10:20:11 E5530 apsd[74]: Attempt to set push wake topics without dark wake enabled: ()
Sep  3 10:20:13 E5530 apsd[74]: Attempt to set push wake topics without dark wake enabled: ()
Sep  3 10:20:14 E5530 apsd[74]: Attempt to set push wake topics without dark wake enabled: ()
Sep  3 10:20:28 E5530 apsd[74]: Peer [pid=497] requested push wake but lacks APSPushWakeEntitlement

• Administrators

Pike R Alpha's generator script creates a CPU-specific SSDT file to obtain ful native CPU power management and Turbo boost. If you've not done that critical part yet, you've got no proper CPU power management. Hence my questions of August 27th.

Furthermore, you may still be using NullCPUPM, in which case, you definitely have no CPU power management at all and that usually prevents Sleep.

So, make sure you've:

1. set your SMBIOS profile to MBA5,1 or MBP9,2
  2. generated your CPU-specific SSDT
  3. removed NullCPUPowerManagement kext

Proceed in that order as the SSDT generator script looks at SMBIOS profile...