HP ProBook 6550b: config.plist issues with El Capitan 10.11.5

griftopia

I had a perfectly running HP Probook 6550b with 10.11.5. I went on vacation. I came back. I swear I changed nothing. All of a sudden I find my laptop will not boot.

I went to "Options" on clover menu. I find that there is no selection for config. It should have said "config", i.e. conflg.plist. boot args also empty. That figures since it did not read config.plist.

I swear I didn't change anything (while I know no one is going to believe me). So I stuck in my USB stick and asked it to boot from the Hard Disk partition. After it booted I took a look at my EFI partition. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

I proceeded to get latest version of Clover, installed EFI partition again (of course I took a backup). It copied all new files. I rebooted. This time I see "config" selected. However, Boot Args are only showing "kext-dev-mode=1 and rootless=0". It is not picking up my boot args from config.plist. I also went and looked at my DSDT. it is not picking the .aml file I'm pointing to but one with default name DSDT.aml

I'm thinking something is going wrong with mounting my EFI partition. Why I don't know. Like I said, I really, really didn't change anything at all. 

So at this time I can only boot off my USB and selecting hard disk partition. Can anyone help please?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Check here under Core Storage.
If in fact that's what you have, follow it to revert. Reboot with USB installer, selecting your HDD. Install Clover again.
Copy your Clover folder from your USB installer to the EFI partition of you HDD.

@Jake Lo

Does not seem to be my issue. When I run diskutil list I get the following

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical)

/dev/disk1 (external, physical) - this of course is my USB stick I now have to use before I ask it to boot the hard disk partition.

Like I said, I was mighty proud of myself with this laptop. Not sure what's going on :-(

@bronxtech - can you please clarify what you mean by set EFI path from bios config.

Meanwhile, I did the following - deleted EFI partition contents completely. Then reinstalled Clover. Then copied my config.plist and my DSDT file in their appropriate locations. Then rebooted without USB stick.

NOW, if found my config.plist and loaded my DSDT. However, my problem is gets stuck on random lines in verbose mode. Looks like I'm looking at a reinstall, which would suck most intensely. If anyone can suggest something?

• Moderators

What Bronxteck said to go to your BIOS and add a new boot option under UEFI and point it to /EFI/Clover/Cloverx64.efi

Make sure to copy Kexts folder (mainly FakeSMC) and Drivers64UEFI if you have additional files other than the default like HFSPlus.efi.

@Bronxtech - Actually I do, but that was left over from bootoaf instead of bootoos. It is not looking there. I got rid of it so I don't get confused again.

Now after spending day on this I just took 2 hours and reinstalled everything. I see 10.11.6 officially released so I needed to do QE/CI again with new Graphics kext.

Just took back up of kexts, went through the process. Everything spic and span. This is the 2nd or 3rd time with Clover I have had such random failures. Never with Chameleon. Would like to know sometime why the heck this happens.

Moral of the story - if you have good backups just reinstall - not worth fretting.