Latitude E6400 Glitchy/Buggy Audio on 10.10/10.11

sambow23

So I installed Mac OS X Yosemite and El Capitan on separate drives, and both have glitchy audio. I installed the newest AppleHDA.kext to see it would fix it, but i still get the same issues. It did work perfectly one time, but after that its been horrible. 

I also tried VoodooHDA to see if that would fix it, it actually made it worse.

Any suggestions? 

• Administrators

Can you post your specs? Is this the model with nVidia GPU or integrated Intel graphics?

What do you mean by "newest AppleHDA"? You should only use a patched kext of same or lower version than the vanilla kext of your installed OS X version. Don't go install the kext from El Capitan in Yosemite for instance.

1st ensure you run the latest Yosemite or El Capitan versions (with all version updates, including Security ones), then patch the AppleHDA kext or replace your vanilla kext by a pre-patched one.

• Administrators

Well the poster of the kexts indicated that he did not test the kexts of his update! :?  You should tell him it's not working...

This being said, Yosemite and El Capitan will have audio perfectly working with an earlier patched AppleHDA. Look up the various E6400/E6500 threads of the forum for a copy or look for details of the patch and apply to your vanilla kext. What codec does BIOS or DCPIManager show?

PokenGuyen's HVT tool has a patch for E6400's IDT codec 76B2. It's a simple matter of applying the patch (and only that). It'll patch your vanilla AppleHDA placed in /S/L/E (keep a backup somewhere safe beforehand). It works fine with Yosemite and should still work fine with EC. If not, you should be safe to re-use the patched Yosemite AppleHDA kext in EC.

• Administrators

Copy the package (~47Mo) found inside the mounted dmg on your desktop before you run it. Then ONLY select the IDT 79B2 patched AppleHDA, nothing else and make sure to have the vanilla AppleHDA in /S/L/E to begin with.

I did some more research on the problem and i noticed it seems to do with my GPU and CPU being throttled, because whenever my GPU is running at full speed, the audio is fine. Also, about the GPU, the entire system is like in slow motion, not in a laggy way, but in a slower moving pace.