E6510: NVS 3100M throttling

Dr. Monkey

• Administrators

I'm quite confident you can achieve good results with the right settings. Reason for this is that both the NVS 3100M of the E6410 and the GT 330M of MBP6,1/6,2 are based on same architecture GT2xx.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-NVS-3100M.24738.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.biz/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-330M.27335.0.html

Info.plist of AGPM kext shows the following nVidia ids for MBP6,1/6,2:

Vendor 10de, Device 0029 -> GeForce GT 330M = chip GT216

Vendor 10de, Device 0a34 -> GeForce GT 240M = chip GT216

As far the Dell Latitude E6510 dGPU:

Vendor 10de, Device 0a6c -> NVS 3100M = chip GT218

So, they are close cousins.

Inject the section for Vendor10deDevice0029 of MacBookPro6,1 or 6,2 entries to your FakeSMC and adjust the thresholds to test:

<key>Threshold_High</key><array>
<integer>57</integer>
<integer>70</integer>
<integer>80</integer>
<integer>100</integer>
</array>
<key>Threshold_High_v</key>
<array>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>3</integer>
<integer>98</integer>
<integer>100</integer>
</array>
<key>Threshold_Low</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>68</integer>
<integer>75</integer>
<integer>94</integer>
</array>
<key>Threshold_Low_v</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>2</integer>
<integer>4</integer>
<integer>99</integer>
</array>

So after a bunch of experimentation, I can see the gpu changing stats when expected, at least from the log.  from the HWMonitor side, I still see it sitting at 405Mhz, and a voltage of 1.00V. Im beginning to wonder if either:

1) HWMontior is just reporting wrong. If so, is there another way to check the voltage/clockspeed of the GPU besides FakeSMC plugins?

2) the voltage being at 1.00V is restricting the chip from going to the top clock speed somehow.  

I will keep testing, but would welcome any insight anyone can provide.

Edit:  Should also be noted that I do see the GPU occasionally drop the the lowest state (202Mhz) every so often, and typically only for a second.  This seems to indicate that I am capable of changing clock speeds on the GPU, but just not reaching the top speed.

• Administrators

Unlike the GPU state changes log entries, HWMonitor is not "real time": the counters/stats get refreshed at a pre-defined interval, typically anything from 2 to 5s. You may reduce this to 1s and see more GPU state changes but it'll never be as time-accurate as the log and, clearly, still some work to do on the thresholds. Cuda-Z may be more appropriate if it still works...

HWMonitor_Preferences.jpg

Keep on trying, you're on the right path.

Voltage will vary according to GPU load and throttling; it's not a fixed parameter and not something you can adjust. In that respect, it's like the CPU voltage re: CPU SpeedStep.