Working sleep on Intel HD 4000 and nVidia NVS 5200M on Dell Latitude E6430 (Optimus Enabled or Disabled)!

FrostyTheSnowman

• Moderators

Try these files, sleep working and speedstepping

Think you'll need to enable Intel Speedstep in the BIOS.

Not sure about disabling Com port, as mine is enabled.

Also I have hibernation disabled with these commands

• sudo pmset hibernatemode 0
  • sudo rm -f /var/vm/sleepimage
  • sudo pmset hibernatefile /dev/null

As you have read from OP, if you want longer battery life, this config is not for you. You'll need to have the Nvidia disabled with DSDT patching to extend battery life.

i7-3740QM.zip

Jake Lo thank you I am about to try now!  I am less worried for battery life since also choice for this laptop was option for larger batteries (97wh) and the option of cd-bay battery (I would use as reserve to swap out if I have 2nd 97wh battery during travel if need). It was priority the sleep, since when I press the blinking power-button (it blinks when sleeping now) but then the machine instead of "waking" as my friend's E6220 does like ordinary Macbook,  my E6430 starts up as if it was off, not "sleeping." (Reboots?) Again thank you I am looking forward to doing this now to test. Even though Speedstep is bothersome it is slight problem compared with the sleep-crashing  :oops: but I am eager to try this ACPI config and cross my fingers after I follow your exact direction that sleep & speedstep may be working for me today!

I have 2 questions.

1 is it best to do everything clean, such like follow your prvevious guide as I did 20 times originally, dismissing any artifacts from Frosty's pack and Peroke's pack (currently I am still loading bootloader with Frosty's kexts and config but of course with screen resolution set to low and the other device id's he specified). I am assuming to do everything clean since you are providing specific ACPI folder which I assume you wish to replace the ACPI folder in your original guide's bootpack + generic EFI folder?

2 will any changes to RAM affect the i7-37QM zip file you provided (I have read, I believe Herve' has stated on some other threads I have been reading on similar subjects) I have read him say that changes to RAM will require a rewriting/re-coding of DSDT.aml file to maintain effect? I ask this because a friend might sell me another 8GB ram and I also was thinking of buying 32GB (2x16GB) as I just saw that these chips now exist for laptops and might wish to try. 

But right now unless I hear otherwise from you I am going to keep RAM the same, reset my BIOS as your guide said so only with UEFI & AHCI , and 1 do everything exact according to your original guide , then once I have installed OS Sierra onto HD, I am going to boot to Hard Drive, then I am going to 2 find ACPI folder in HD>EFI partition, and replace (not merge  :wub: ) the ACPI folder from guide's now installed-bootpack, with your i7-3740QM ACPI folder, then reboot, and test sleep. 

Wish me luck! Ana  :ph34r:

Something I understand suddenly is that there is conflict in ACPI folder (3740QM zip file) with (Jake Lo) guide, and that is the ssdt.aml creation process (step where we make custom with ssdtPRGen.sh), so I am choosing to test with

1 NOT creating new ssdt.aml with script and substitute ONLY all contents from (custom ACPI 3740QM) zip

then if issues persist,

2 creating new ssdt.aml and renaming already-present ssdt.aml to 'ssdt-off.aml' and continuing with guide

ok still working on this will report back soon :) Ana

• Moderators

No need to rebuild, you had already done so 20 times. Just need to update the EFI/Clover folder with the file and folder I attached. Keep the kexts you have been using since I didn't attach any. The SSDT and Config file was configured specific to that CPU, so no need to regenerate new SSDT.

You can add RAM or remove RAM as any time, it does not affect the DSDT, only if you change BIOS version or BIOS settings. I noticed your signature said A13, but in the screenshot it shows A12. Stick with A13 as this version, the Optimus option won't revert itself after reboot/restart as it does other version.

The max RAM this system can hold is 16GB, means, 2 8GB per slot or maybe 1 16GB stick. See here

ok :) Yes this was typo I will correct as soon as I make sure to verify my BIOS screen :) I hope saying how many times I did the install process was not meaning frustration :) It actually caused a lot of understanding with the process and helped me see things like Default Boot Volume in the Boot sidebar of Clover, and learning why when I first attempted Frosty's pack my machine completely froze, (because I eventually learned that the IG-Platform-ID needed to be changed from the Graphics sidebar, and why Peroke's made my screen flash like a Christmas Tree (the screen resolution had to be altered because his I believe was default at the high resolution but he left no information to guide a new a random user) . I really was happy to say that it made me feel very proud to learn and thankful to your help to this forum.

So I already nuked everything before I saw your reply :) and because I saw in your config that the name "Sierra" is used for hard drive, and sometimes maybe you relate it is easier to wipe the entire board clean and start complete from scratch so we're absolutely sure nothing contaminates the new approach. I am so thrilled maybe this will work that I can't wait to walk myself through and make sure every single thing is followed to the letter! These repeated steps are not tedious at all and they help me learn quickly and know better to ask right questions to respect your help :) Fresh installing now! yay!

Jake Lo interesting news! :D First I am so happy it feels like my computer is real! :) It would be nice to get full 3.7GHz but this is good and sufficient if it is impossible :(:)  There was strange "Difference GHz Ceilings" before & after wake after clean-install and ACPI replacement with your 3740QM files, I

1) Rebooted and saw SpeedStep very low ceiling (1.5 GHz) and Speaker-Icon greyed out (meaning I couldn't even watch YouTube while testing lol :D

2) Set Preference to "Sleep after 1 Min"

3) Laptop entered sleep

4) Pressed Power Button on Laptop and it WOKE!!!!!!!! YAY!!! SO HAPPY!!!!! Thank you Jake Lo!!!!!!

5) PowerGadget now showed SpeedStep DIFFERENT CEILING - 3.0 GHz

so this made me test different things such PowerGadget after:

1) Fresh Reboot: Power Gadget Ceiling is 1.5GHz

2) "Selecting from Apple Menu to Go to Sleep," then waking up , PG Ceiling is 3.00 GHz

3) Closing Lid, then waking up from Lid-Sleep with Powerbutton. PG Ceiling is 1.6GHz

The analyst in me decided to try different things before reporting back to you, since I got curious and went to BIOS and turned off Speedstep, and upon reboot, PowerGadget Ceiling is 3.5GHz. (But I believe this CPU should have 3.7 GHz?)

Now I know you said this should work with Speedstep turned on, I don't know what to do. It seems like the machine runs fastest (3.5 GHz and sometimes 3.52 GHz ) but only if disable SpeedStep in BIOS, (I also experiment with turning off TurboBoost, and turning off C-States / in matrix-test with JakeLo's ssdt, ssdtPRGen.sh's ssdt.aml, and "No-ssdt" (I removed ssdt.aml completely in this column of test). Without boring all the results, the slowest and fastest config so far:

Fastest Config: JakeLo-SSDT + BIOS:SpeedStep-OFF / TurboBoost-OFF / C-States-ON : PowerGadget Ceiling 3.56GHz, Geekbench 12664

Slowest Config: No-SSDT + BIOS:SpeedStep-ON / TurboBoost-ON / C-States-ON : PowerGadget Ceiling 1.6GHz, Geekbench 6225

If JakeLo-SSDT is present, and BIOS:SpeedStep/TurboBoost/etc=ON, then the different GHz-Ceilings occur (1.5 before sleep, 3.0 GHz after wake, but intermittently goes back down to it seems either 1.5 or 2 GHz I have not determined the exact triggers.)

Do you think there is problem with my CPU that it does not go beyond 3.56GHz as supposed to Jake Lo ? 

post-113631-0-33342800-1506377281_thumb.jpg

post-113631-0-48674000-1506377290_thumb.jpg

post-113631-0-18409400-1506377297_thumb.jpg

post-113631-0-87387000-1506377304_thumb.jpg

post-113631-0-77431500-1506377311_thumb.jpg

Bronxteck thank you :) Where do I do this? I believe Clover Configurator? Is it the Cpu sidebar in the screen with "Frequency MHz" ... "Bus Speed kHz" etcetera?

Also what MHz should I enter if so? My 3740QM I believe is 2.6 lowest, 3.7 highest, should I enter 3700 in the MHz box or 2600?

And should I do this while keeping Jake Lo's ssdt.aml file or temporarily remove it when manually entering the CPU speed? 

I forgot to add in last post that I am currently in the config: JakeLo's ACPI folder (3740QM) and TurboBoost/SpeedStep both set to OFF

Thank you so much, Ana

Ok :) Thank you for link! :wub:

I also see this link about HWP Option for SkyLake processor from insanelymac? I think this 3740QM is such? I am trying to read now about maybe this also is option for power management in Clover Configurator? 

I will try your option first I am wanting to know first if I should remove ssdt.aml from ACPI folder to do such proper test as something I think I just now saw says that for instance the kext-method means don't use Clover method (both will give null result), so I am realizing that sometimes one thing may unknowing cancel something out in a test so I need to be precise with how I test all these right? I will give results after I finish reading and try first your option then the article's option :)