D830: Can't Download macOS Sierra From App Store

johnnynmonic

So the App Store is telling me "this version of macOS 10.12 cannot be installed on this computer" when I try to download Sierra.  Will the final version of 10.12 be supported for these old Dxxx machines?  Frankly, I don't see any features in the new OS that I MUST have, but always curious about the latest and greatest.

• Administrators

With Enoch, you'll be to proceed by temporarily setting your SMBIOS to MBP7,1, download Sierra, install it with MPB7,1 SMBIOS and then, once you're finished, set the SMBIOS back to MBP5,1. You may not get graphics acceleration with MBP7,1 SMBIOS but this will be regained after reverting to MBP5,1 SMBIOS.

That's my personal experience on my D630. Apparently you cannot use MBP5,1 SMBIOS with Clover so you may want to stick to Enoch on that particular laptop.

Edit: You can also permanently retain MBP7,1 SMBIOS by re-tuning your FakeSMC keys to 1.62f6 (keep smc-compatible set to smc-mcp) and the AGPM patch to MBP7,1 model.

• Administrators

Please note that you cannot proceed with Sierra if your D830 is fitted with the Merom T7700 listed in your signature. Sierra needs a CPU with SSE4 capabilities so you'd have to upgrade to a FSB800/SantaRosa Penryn CPU of the T8x00 or T9x00 families.

• Administrators

Nope, you need a FSB800 CPU. I you install a CPU of higher FSB it may not be supported and if it were, it'd run at reduced speed (200 x multiplier).

T8x00 are not great performers due to their smaller 3Mo L2 cache (4Mo on your T7700). T9x00 are much much better with 6Mo. It makes a big difference.

Hi, reviving an old thread, but I started it, so I hope that makes it ok ;)

Finally got a Sierra compatible CPU, and can't seem to get Clover to change my SMBIOS to 7,1 

If I were using Enoch I suppose it'd be easier, but I'm not...

Any tips would be welcome.  Thank you.

jn