[SOLVED] E6420: Trouble updating from Yosemite to Sierra

faithie999

i just updated my E6420 from yosemite to sierra release version 10.12.  i booted into yosemite, downloaded the sierra installer from the app store, and ran the installer from the /Applications folder.    

the update appeared to proceed normally and i was able to boot to the Sierra desktop.  however, the usb (2.0) ports don't work.  i am using rehabman's latest voodoops2 kext, which avoids the KP during boot.  however, the keyboard and trackpad didn't work when i first booted to sierra.  the "unknown keyboard" dialog showed up, so i connected via screen sharing from another computer and set up the keyboard.  now the keyboard doesn't work but the trackpad doesn't.  perhaps the keyboard doesn't connect via USB so this observation may not be of any value in troubleshooting.

since the prefs that i set in yosemite included screen sharing, i am able to access the sierra install and poke around.  just don't have any idea where to start the troubleshooting.

in system profiler, both USB 2.0 hubs show up (i presume one is the internal and the other is the external hub.  under the internal hub, the webcam shows up as a device.  under the other hub, no devices show up despite having a usb drive and usb mouse plugged in.

thanks in advance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Rehabman's voodoops2Controller is for Synaptics, not for Alps touchpad that's on this model. Try this one.

Trackpad preference will be blank, known issue on Sierra, need to replace it with 10.11.x

Sound and brightness control Fn keys won't work either.

The USB issue has been around since El Capitan, you'll need to create an USB injector for the specific SMBIOS and your hardware. You can try the injector in my E6420 bootpack set for MBP8,2 smbios.

I just tried that I have an E6420 with dual boot Mavericks and Yosemite, so booted into yosemite(10.10.5) downloaded the Sierra installed the app and run it, before restarting I installed the voodoo and then rebooted but Yosemite comes up as if nothing happened, what am I missing???? I tried it twice with the same results

I got a USB and ran the createinstallmedia method, it just copied the app to the USB which wouldn't boot, I manually added Chameleon still doesn't see the stuff on the USB . So  this means I have to go the long way e.g. pull the InstallESD.dmg and stuff , right??? Or di I miss something else??

Thanks

Thanks!!!  It's been a while and I didn't see the last piece on the guide ... I didn't get to do it as I always had some work on that Yosemite drive and I know this may take me out the box for a couple of days ( or a full night) read the last guide and just have to add a couple of pieces to my stick from when I posted I'll do it in the next few days