[SOLVED] E6420: Trouble updating from Yosemite to Sierra

faithie999

Sorry to be such a pain , I held back as long as I could and now I need to install Sierra, been using the Yosemite more and more so I'm thinking about installing it on my Mavericks hard drive, I have a lot of data could I leave a couple of folders with my stuff and erase everything else to do the Sierra?? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two HDs are GUID, Chameleon allows me to choose to boot either mavericks or Yosemite(also done with Chameleon) the Clover would the same? I had issues with the dsdt for Clover it wouldn't work 4 me that is why I went with Chameleon.

• Moderators

If Chameleon works for you, stick with it.

Follow Hervé guide here. Continue using the same Extra folder you're using for Yosemite.

Sierra guide is 2nd to last post. You'll need to add some new files, so follow carefully

It's been a while I tried it a couple of times with no success but since I have working VMWare copies of Mojave and High Sierra running on this box I can do what I need to do there i.e. testing some Xcode stuff. A bit slow but it gets me thru

But I'd like to have a native install of at least Sierra or better high Sierra so I've been trying Clover, these are my current  tries any hints on which path to try deeper?

1.- Standard method creating the Clover USB Legacy it never boots from the USB, what do I need to so that it boots from the USB

2.- I installed from my old trusty USB with Mavericks/Chameleon, renamed the Extra , installed clover on the HDD and played with couple of kexts and I boots to Clover logo and to Mavericks, the I ran the "Install MacOSx Sierra" like on a real Mac and goes thru, reboots to the Clover logo, it looks like it will go as it progresses to 100% but it stays there forever.

3.- Was thinking about installing Sierra/chameleon and tried to do the trick on my shot 2 to flip it to Clover..

Thanks in advance

Followed your guide(enoch) , tried 10.12.6, got the USB had issues with the DSDT for my E6420, pulled in the NVS version with nv_disable=1 all good it completes the installation , on the 1st boot it goes up to AppleKextExcludeList.kext the screen stops printing , it stays there empty for a couple of minutes and reboots it repeats this when retrying multiple times.

They said delete it & gives me a KP something about unable to scan kexts, others suggested to take all text from the info.plist same, emptying a couple of sections the same. Rebuilt Kexts no diff ....Any hint on how to go around this?