[SOLVED] E6420: Trouble updating from Yosemite to Sierra

faithie999

• Administrators

If you're using Enoch, please post the Extra folder you're using.

If you're using Clover, please post the EFI folder you're using.

Please add your system's specs in signature. I remain unclear as to whether you possess the nVidia model or not...

In case you do, please note that NVS 4200M is Fermi GF119 (similar to GeForce GT610) which is supported up to El Capitan but unsupported from Sierra onwards. As such, the nVidia dGPU needs to be disabled in order to run solely on the HD3000 iGPU. Apparent side effects is that HDMI + VGA outputs are lost (wired to dGPU I guess). 

I invite you to run a Search for "4200M Sierra" and read the threads of the resulting list.

In all cases, please note that HD3000 will be a little buggy at times in all versions beyond Yosemite (glitches, lines across the screen). It's somehow less visible if you max out RAM to 8GB and therefore get 512MB allocated to the iGPU. You may also notice that these defects worsen over time, especially if you hardly reboot the laptop and keep it running over time through repeated Sleep/Wake.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

We're getting off-topic but are you sure you don't want to limit your upgrade to El Capitan and retain nVidia graphics? You'll like your E6420 Hackintosh a lot less if you run it on HD3000 only. Now I say that, I say nothing...

I have 2HDD (Mavericks, Yosemite) which have been rock solid for the last couple of years, now that u mentioned maybe I'd upgrade the Yosemite to El Capitan. But I wanted to have this extra 1T drive with Sierra or higher a bit "native" as I said I have VMs with HSierra and Mojave on this drive which run ok for my main dev needs (running XCode, Angular and RDP to servers) 

Got it!!! Gave it a shot with Clover didn't go the clover menu was always empty... so redid the Enoch and it was all ok still have to touch up trackpad too slow, no wifi, no sound. 

Thanks 4 the help!!!

UPDATE:  For the sake of completion booting from the installer USB would work but I had issues booting from the HDD I'd get the boot0:GPT boot0:done, tried the boot1h but it didn't make a diff, figured out when installing the Enoch to the HDD it had to have the option "Install Chameleon in the ESP" then all was good