Dell Precision M4800 - MacOS Sierra

howoarang

And about black screen...

To properly boot osx on Dell M4800 must be SMBIOS configured like this:

In Osx El. Capitan, Yosemie or Maverick, the SMBIOS in Clover is configured to Macbook Pro 11.3 or iMac 14,2

In Osx Sierra it must be iMac 14,2.

With Macbook Pro 11,3 cause black sceen.

• Like 2

Ok here it is:

Internal display at 1920x1080 is on LVDS-1

External display at 3840x2160 is on DP-2 (Dell 4K P2415q)

Tested on GParted Linux

attachicon.gifScreen_connector.jpg

Has a miss take. You can disable optimus on your M4800 and testing again?

If the same result, you're lucky man! :) This Laptop is easy to config & install new macOS more than mine. Thanks!

Hi, the test above is with Disabled Optimus in BIOS.
If you need, I can test it again with Enabled Optimus, but I think, there will be only internal screen at 1920x1080 working, because Intel HD4600 GPU doesn't support external dispaly on this mobile workstation. I've tested it some days ago on Windows.

Here is topic from official dell.com:
"nVidia with Optimus Graphic"
"Systems equipped with Optimus technology have nVidia Graphics plus Intel integrated graphics this allow for a configuration of up to 4 displays:
2 digital displays on nVidia using DVI or DP on the ARP or HDMI on the systems.
The LCD and a VGA display on Intel."

But I tested again and now with Optimus enabled, as you ask, and there is different result:

Internal display is connected to eDP
External display I leave connected to Laptop, but it is showing that no other display is conected.

CONCLUSION:

On Dell Precision M4800 (with nVidia GPU) there are 2 choices about display connection:

1. With Switchable Graphics Enabled, Internal display is connected via eDP port, and no other digital ports like HDMI or DP works

2. With Switchable Graphics Disabled, Internal display is connected via LVDS, and external display can be connected via HDMI or DP port. So this choice is better for Hackintosh

post-5663-0-35821300-1480602648_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

But I tested again and now with Optimus enabled, as you ask, and there is different result:

Internal display is connected to eDP

External display I leave connected to Laptop, but it is showing that no other display is conected.

CONCLUSION:

On Dell Precision M4800 (with nVidia GPU) there are 2 choices about display connection:

1. With Switchable Graphics Enabled, Internal display is connected via eDP port, and no other digital ports like HDMI or DP works

2. With Switchable Graphics Disabled, Internal display is connected via LVDS, and external display can be connected via HDMI or DP port. So this choice is better for Hackintosh

Can you share your clover configuration file? My M4800 has the same hw parts as yours, but always get black screen when disabled Optimus. I still can't boot to install sierra. Thank you so much! :)

Edited by tudt949

Hi !

I will try to install Sierra today with your config on your other topic howoarang and with informations here.

And I will disable optimus at the moment.

I'm on i7-4900MQ / Nvidia Quadro K2100M

I will inform you during the day