[SOLVED] Run macOS Sierra from an external hard drive, possible?

spidey123

Hi guys, just wondering is it possible to run macOS Sierra from an external drive.  I can get it to install but once it reboots to the Clover screen my external drive doesn't show up to allow me to complete the second phase of the installation.  It does work though if I run it on my internal drive.  I had toomany issues and went back to El Capitan for the internal but I want to keep testing Sierra on an external source.  I've always been able to do this in the past with Yosemite and El Capitan.  I even tried booting with the lastest Clover via usb stick, clover loads but USB External drive not shown on Clover boot screen.   No Idea why I can't get it to work this time.   Any suggestions?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

It's always been possible to boot OS X off an external HDD (unlike Windows). But with El Capitan onwards, you have to make sure all your USB ports are operational since Apple modified USB ports management in EC and beyond. Hence the frequent requirements to patch DSDT and rename EHCx devices (USB2.0 controllers) to EH0x devices; this is then followed by the use of a USBInjector kexts to declare all USB ports under the SMBIOS profile used on the computer.

Ok thanks Herve and Bronxtech, I thought those changes were for USB 3.0?  My E6420 only has USB 2.0 ports and they all work in El Capitan when I insert USB's into the ports.  I will try Bronxtech's suggestion first I guess since its easier to do.  Thanks guys.  

Hi Jake Lo thanks for your response,  I figured out why I couldn't see it.  First, Herve was correct, I can only use one USB slot during the boot up,  which is why I could never get it to work while booting from a USB stick Plus the external drive.  Second, my EFI drive wasn't getting updated by clover.  It was just installing an EFI folder in the root of the mac osx, instead of my EFI partition.  Fixed that though by "showing all files" then copying the EFI folder and then mounting my EFI partition and pasted it there.  Now I finally have the latest 3811 Clover running internally.  Before I still had 3330.  Anyhow after that, I attached just my external and there was the Boot macOS Sierra but I still had to get rid of the VoodooPS2 controller to avoid kernal panic.  So I just removed it, installed, fooled around a bit and then added the kext back in for El Capitan.   It would be much easier if I could run more two usb ports, that way I could just use my stick EFI for testing and loading Sierra and my internal for EL Capo.  

My config though definitely needs to be updated.  I'm still using the one from Yosemite.  Haven't updated it in a long time.  Don't really know how to do it correctly.