[SOLVED] Run macOS Sierra from an external hard drive, possible?

spidey123

Ok so I tried Jake Lo's method first.  I added the Layout 12 patch from MacISL from rehab mans patches.  I then copied all the patches from Jake Lo's config included in the boot back.  Then added the new Sierra Patch and confirmed it is there with the comment Sierra.  Finally installed the AppleHDAIDT kext in the bootpack into /L/E and ran the fix permissions commands suggested by Herve.  Got error AppleHDA controller when I ran that.  Not sure why or if that is the problem but I still cannot get audio.  Trackpad is fantastic though it doesn't show in the preference pane but I;ve been reading that you need to recopy then one from 10.11.6 into the PreferencePane folder inside /S/L/E

One last note,  I tried to boot my E6420 with the config file from Jake Lo's bootpack but after everything the white Apple bar finishes loading all I get is a black screen, which is why I just copied the patches over to my older config I have been using in El Capitan.  Also get the same problem if I install the IOAHCISerialATAPI_Injector.kext from the bootpack.  So I just reinstalled the one that I was using with El Capitan.  

Also worth noting, my brightness keys are actually working :)  Is it because I'm still using the IOAHCISerialATAPI_Injector.kext from EL Capitan?  I thought the keys were not working or has the person (sorry can't remember this programmers name, but I thank him for the great effort he has put in to fixing the VoodooPS2Controller) updated them in the newer version?

Thanks guys.  This has been quite tricky but I'm learning and reading a lot.  Hopefully soon I can get the sound to work.  

Update****  I just realized I have the ACPIBacklight.kext in my kext folder in Clover.  I know its not included in Jake Lo's bootpack but I'm wondering if that is the reason why the brightness keys are working for me.

Update number two.  Here is the error code I get when I try to repair permissions.

rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController]: _gAudioStackDebugFlags

Link failed (error code 5).

Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController; omitting from prelinked kernel.

kernalcacheID =*******************

symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>

It also gave me a Kernelcached ID but I wasn't sure if that was safe to post or not so I ommitted it

Maybe I lost my Vanilla AppleHDA kext?  I might have installed a non Vanilla, but I didn't remember and I actually reinstalled the OS again but maybe it didn't overwrite it the one I had in my Extensions folder?  I just can't remember if I did something to the orginal.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright I got the a new Vanilla AppleHDA.kext and that was one of the problems.  The other issue was with the SSDT.aml   Believe I fixed that too.  So Im up and testing on my external.  Have sound now, brightness keys work and Trackpad works pretty smoothly as well.  Thanks guys for all your help.   Now I'm going to test to make sure my apps work over the next few days and if they do I will make a backup and then install on my internal.  Only thing not working right now are the sound keys but thats no big deal.  

Hi thanks Jake Lo, is this for the sound, up, down and mute keys?  Because its not a big deal.  The brightness keys were more important and they already work, I don't know how, but they do.  I'm pretty certain it is because of ACPIBacklight.kext in my clover "other" kext folder.  

Hmmm says Karabiner Elements is not yet supported in Sierra?  Ok I will try it anyways I found the json file.

Thanks again Jake Lo.  And great to know that 10.12.1 may have a permanent fix for everything :)

P.s.  Stupid question but how do I actually use the modified .json file?  I have edited it to my liking and saved it but where would i put it so its the default when i opne up the program?  Or does it not work that way? 

the tilde character does that represent the root of my  drive?  Because if so, there is nothing there.  Speaking of the tilde character, since I just tried to type it when I do I get this § not the tilde?  I copied my trackpad preference from El Capitan, do you think that is the issue.  I've just upgraded my internal and I get the same thing.  

Thanks Jake Lo

Oh ok thanks Herve :)   

And to Jake Lo and others I have found a fix to the ~ character problem.  When I selects Standard English I get euro keyboard when I select euro I get the Standard English.  Using VoodooPS2Controller Release 4 RC4.  Maybe the Doc reversed it :)  No biggy though, I have no problem selecting euro.