[SOLVED] Run macOS Sierra from an external hard drive, possible?

spidey123

Thanks Herve.  I've decided to just leave it as is.  I'm quite happy with how it is right now.  Hopefully once the update comes out someone will come up with a fix and my my brightness keys do work so i'm good to go.  Thank you for all your help and jake lo and the others too.  Next need to try to update my Dell 3542 so back to reading.  That one is going to be more challenging I believe.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys, I just had one more issue that I hope I can resolve.  I'm using the VoodooSDHX kext for the card reader but I have my Vendor ID and Device ID and its a Micro SD Host Controller.   Would it be possible to patch my DSDT to get the official Apple SD card reader kext working?  

I found this patch by Jake Lo, 

#Patch for O2Micro SD Card Reader

into device label PXSX parent_label RP05 insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n

Return (Package()\n

{\n

"AAPL,slot-name",\n
"Built-in",\n
"device-type", Buffer() { "Media Controller" },\n
"model", Buffer() { "O2 Micro SD Card Reader" },\n

"compatible", Buffer() { "pci14e4,16bc" },\n

})\n
}\n
end;

If I add this to my DSDT and obviously change the ID's to the model I have, would that be enough.  Or would I also have to modify the AppleSDHX kext?  (I think thats the name of it, but I may have written it wrong.  The reason I'm trying to fix this is that if my computer sleeps the screen stays black and I have to reboot, and I read thats most likely the VoodooSDHX kext that is responsible.

• Moderators

No, don't change that, just need to change it to RP06 like this.

#Patch for O2Micro SD Card Reader
into device label PXSX parent_label RP06 insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
    Return (Package()\n
    {\n
        "AAPL,slot-name",\n
        "Built-in",\n
        "device-type", Buffer() { "Media Controller" },\n
        "model", Buffer() { "O2 Micro SD Card Reader" },\n
        "compatible", Buffer() { "pci14e4,16bc" },\n
    })\n
}\n
end;

• Administrators

Maybe you patched your DSDT incorrectly. If done correctly, the patch is 100% successful on the E6x20 and E6x30 series. You most also remove the VoodooSDHC kext and rebuild your cache afterwards.

NB: the DSDT patch does not change the PCI ids at all; it merely injects compatibility with Apple's default SD card reader. That's all.

Hi Herve, I did just cut and paste in into my DSDT with macIASL but I selected patch and then pasted it.   Compiled and no errors.  Ok I will upload here.  Also just took the update 10.12.1  mute and volume works again :)  No changes needed at all.  Everything is up no reinstalling kexts or anything like that.  

DSDT.aml.zip