[SOLVED] E6230 Sierra Audio Issue

Welshboy16

Hi All,

Just like to say thanks in helping me get Sierra running on my E6230 in the first place!

You are all awesome :D

I have an issue with my audio though. Im using Jake Lo's kext pack from the Lattitude/Inspiron/Precision Guide.

It has the AppleHDA patches in the config already, and I've also tried adding find: 8A19D411 replace: 00000000 with no luck. I've tried replacing AppleHDA_IDT with the AppleHDA_IDT-92HD-93.kext too. That didn't work. I've renamed them to AppleHDA.kext to see if that would help. 

The kexts are in /E/E/ and using the Clover kext patching.

Another minor issue. I've replaced the touchpad settings pane, but the settings dont apply on boot. I've tried running the touchpad settings script floating around but get "Trackpad is not allowed assistive access"

• Administrators

Keep patched AppleHDA in /S/L/E (it only loads from there) and the IDT definition kext in /L/E.

Which version of AppleHDA do you currently have? Did you keep your vanilla file?

Here are the files for 10.12.1 (beta4 & 5).

E6230_Patched_AppleHDA_10.12.1.B4-5.zip

Binary patch applied to AppleHDA v278.23:

Find: 8419D411
Replace by: 00000000

Find: 8A19D411
Replace by: 00000000

Find: 8B19D411
replace by: DF761D11

Thanks Herve,

I was really hoping this would work :( Sadly it didn't.

I removed all the AppleHDA patched in my clover conf. Replaced with the ones you provided above. Put that AppleHDA_IDT kext into my /E/E/kexts/Other/LE/ folder (Replaced the one that was already there)
Replaced the Patched AppleHDA with the one that was in /S/L/E Using Kext Helper.
Saved Config, rebooted and still no joy :(

How do I know what version of AppleHDA I have? The vanilla one from /S/L/E is on my desktop.

• Administrators

Right click->Get info gives you the version of a kext.

Placing the IDT kext in /E/E/kexts/other/LE is not going to work, it's not a folder used by anything, you got that part wrong. You can place it in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.xx of your EFI partition or, better, place it in /L/E, repair permissions and rebuild cache. You must also repair permissions and rebuild cache for patched AppleHDA in /S/L/E.

Kexts placed in Clover EFI partition folder are injected at boot time, whereas kexts placed in /L/E are cached, which is better and faster at startup.

I'd avoid Kext Helper or Kext Wizard if I were you; this kind of tools does not report on kextcache rebuilding errors. You'd be better advised to follow the manual way described a million times here:

1) copy the kext(s) to the targeted folder(s)

2) Repair permissions and rebuild cache with the following Terminal commands:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
If you obtain an error 77, repeat the touch + kextcache commands.

Thanks for the help Herve. That kext was already placed in that folder as I downloaded the kext pack from Jake Los guide. I've tried moving it to /E/E/kexts/Other but still the same result.

I'll try putting it in /L/E now. The reason I didn't want to do that was if I ever wanted to update, all I would need to do is copy the entire EFI folder over and have everything working.

I appreciate the help.

• Administrators

As I said above, /E/E/kexts/Other or /E/E/kexts/Other/LE is an invalid folder for kexts. Nothing will load from there. Please pay attention...

You can inject kexts:

1. from /E/E of OS X partition with Enoch
  2. from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.xx of EFI partition with Clover

Note that if/when you update, your /L/E folder will remain untouched; only /S/L/E will be modified; Hence the usefulness of Clover on-the-fly patches. With Enoch, you have to manually (re)patch vanilla kexts of /S/L/E folder.

It may not have occurred to you that the LE folder placed in the EFI folder of Jake's pack is to indicate that kexts placed there are to go to /L/E of the OS X installation partition. Sorry if you missed that subtlety... Same principle in the presence of an SLE folder.

Hey there Mr Herve! You are the man!

Yeah I can now see I was typing the wrong thing, I meant to say /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ Since thats how it looks when I mount my EFI.

Anyway copying that kext to /L/E did the trick, repaired perms and rebooted. I now have audio! Both Speakers and Mic!

I honestly didnt know that /L/E wouldn't get updated. I always thought it would, which is why I've been reluctant to copy anything over. 

Now I just need to figure out the issue with trackpad settings not loading on boot.

• Administrators

A few things to note about /L/E:

1. the folder can be considered for 3rd party extensions
  2. the folder is untouched at updates (except kexts that Apple place there themselves)
  3. the folder is totally bypassed when booting without cache

Regarding TrackPad, you can use the script posted by Dr Hurt here once you've installed the PrefPane and configured it to your liking.