Help need: Install Sierra on Precision Tower

bill10

@Herve, I did those 2 things, but still stuck

However, I got into the mac install menu once during the weekend, but instead of start installing right away I did something now I regret doing -- I rebooted and thought I could reproduce it. hell no, it is stuck at that progress bar again..... now I am getting superstitious about this lol

What I did to get into the installer is to unchecked the generate pstates and Cstates boxes.

@Herve, I pressed f4 but nothing happened, could you say more about how to get them saved?

Thank you!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

It'll be worth checking what PCI root value Dell set on this workstation. Dell had a habit of setting it to 4 on its high end PCs and workstations. It was therefore necessary to set PCI root to 4 as a bootloader option to be able to successfully boot OS X. Thereafter, the DSDT could be patched to change the PCI root to 0 (i.e. default bootloader value).

• Administrators

Looking at the extracted DSDT, it appears the PCI root is set to 0:

Scope (_SB)
    {
        Device (PCI0)
        {
            [...]
            Name (_UID, 0x00)  // _UID: Unique ID

It's the _UID value of device PCI0.

From OS X, the PCI root value can also be checked through the following Terminal command:

ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI\ " | grep UID

`

You can refer to this old thread for details:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2061-dell-precision-470-670-workstation-snow-leopardlionmountain-lionmavericksyosemite/&do=findComment&comment=32511

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2061-dell-precision-470-670-workstation-snow-leopardlionmountain-lionmavericksyosemite/&do=findComment&comment=32511

Thank you. At least one uncertainly is ruled out. The DSDT stuff is way above my head now and I guess I need to read more about it. If I understand correctly, I can worry about it after installing the os, or can I?

Now with GraphicsEnabler=No and PCIRootUID=0 I can get into the install menu but I can't click anything (screenshot below).

I feel we are really close.....

post-100282-0-38594600-1478011997_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately no. The mouse is working but I can't click on anything (nothing is clickable).

The arrow keys on the keyboard also works as I can move the highlight bar. But pressing enter has no effect. 

Another weird thing ....

post-100282-0-91934500-1478027222_thumb.jpg