E6220 and Sierra - possible?

torakikiii

Hi guys,

i've been browsing and reading the forum for a whole day. I just got myself a lively 6220 and while I'm waiting for El capitan do download again (for some reasons it failed from Apple sigh!) I'm posting this late minute doubt.

I'm totally new to Hackintoshes... but willing to give it a try.

From what I read El Capitan should work fairly well on the 6220 but I haven't seen any guide regarding Sierra on a 6220, only on a 6230.

Am I wrong and since I'm just about to start it's better to go the Sierra way or for some reasons Sierra is a no go on a 6220?

Thanks for casting some light on this!

And thanks for all the amazing amount of work in this forum.

I have E6220 and I am perfectly happy with El Capitan. Everything is working, no issues.

So far, I do not see a reason to go for Sierra.  I know for sure that one of the forum admins Herve is running Sierra on his E6220

Maybe he will update his series of guides sometime, but so far - I'd recommend to follow this guide for El Capitan:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-el-capitan-clover-guide/

Thanks pakfata, it's what i'm going to do now since it's a proven path. I was just in doubt if in some months I'll find myself redoing all this since often, as far as I got it, updating it's not an easy option.

Anyway I hope Herve will pop up and gives me his point of view.

Cheers for now.

• Administrators

Sierra does indeed work perfectly on the E6220. I'm overdue for the guide but it's basically more or less the same as for El Capitan and you can re-use the same pack meantime (I've just updated it with Dr Hurt's VoodooPS2Controller Release 4).

• Like 1

I thought there are still ongoing issues with Sierra on E6220. I will try to update tonight or tomorrow.

I am using Clover on the fly updates, and I will provide info what happened and upload the kexts, which I am using.

• Administrators

@pafkata: there is no known/ongoing/outstanding issues with Sierra on the E6220. Everything works perfectly like it did with previous OS X versions.

@torakikii: Enoch is a branch of Chameleon, so it's Chameleon underneath.

Choosing between Enoch/Chameleon and Clover is a matter of personal choices: many people (especially beginnners) will find Enoch/Chameleon much easier to use than Clover which somehow requires a bit of a Master's Degree to fully understand and configure. Then, Clover is far more powerful than Enoch and goes way beyond the scope of a simple bootloader.

Thanks for the clarification. I will just take  Dr Hurt's VoodooPS2Controller Release 4 from your bootpack and re-use same kexts from El Cap.

I hope for a flawless update :)

@torakikii - You may eventually decide to use Clover, once you get more Hackintosh experience, and most likely after few macOS updates break your system and you re-install few times.

is it a joke?  :-P two days into hackintosh and I've already created countless bootsticks and exchanged tons of kexts  :mrgreen:  Not a pro but getting closer at light speed :)

Jokes a part, if I want to change the bootloader do I have to reinstall all the box?

I'm in the process of finalizing the kexts for El Cap... I might go and try with sierra directly then and switch to Clover!

Happy hackintoshing!

Ps Thanks Hervè for the wonderful support

• Administrators

If you want to change bootloader, there is no need to re-install the OS, no. You'll just install the new desired bootloader and adjust the settings accordingly.

On a fully working system,

• if you switch from Enoch to Clover:
    • move your SSDT and DSDT tables from /E/E to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched of your EFI partition
    • if you inject kexts, move them from /E/E to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.xx.
    • If you do not inject kexts but cache them from /S/L/E or /L/E, there is nothing further to do
    • create your relevant Clover config.plist
  • if you switch from Clover to Enoch:
    • move your SSDT and DSDT tables from EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched of your EFI partition to /E/E
    • if you inject kexts, move them from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.xx. to /E/E
    • If you do not inject kexts but cache them from /S/L/E or /L/E, there is nothing further to do
    • create the relevant kernel.plist + o.c.B.plist + SMBIOS.plist in /E/E
  • Like 2