E6220 and Sierra - possible?

torakikiii

I have used the same kexts from El Capitan with latest Clover 3899. (Kexts from Jake Lo's guide - https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-el-capitan-clover-guide/ 

I only replaced the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from Herve's Enoch guide.

I have two things which are not working:

1. My touchpad can't be used to 'click' by touch when system loads. 

I remember the option in System Preferences -> Trackpad to enable it, however it loads blank.

Anyway, when I click on Trackpad - it fixes the issue and now I can 'left-click' if I tap..

2. Audio - I can't seem to get audio kext to work. I have tried many different things, and I am worried that I always get such warning when rebuilding kernel cache:

symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>

I have used the updated kext for the 10.11.4 update..

@Herve - I'd appreciate it if you could point me if there's anything special about audio kext for Sierra, because I've always managed to get audio working on Yosemite and El Capitan, but this time - I have no more ideas and I will give up for today.

• Administrators

For audio through patched appleHDA, you must:

1) install the IDT 92HD90 dummy/definition kext in /L/E

2) replace vanilla AppleHDA kext in /S/L/E by the patched version or apply the patches through Clover on-the-fly facility

AppleHDA patch consists of the following binmod of the main kext binary file (i.e. not the PlugIns):

Find: 8B19D411
Replace: E7761D11

Find: 8419D411
Replace by: 00000000

Find: 8A19D411
Replace by: 00000000

There are 2 x instances of each replacement. You can use an app like HexFiend to proceed with the mod.

3) repair permissions and rebuild cache

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Don't worry about the error 17; that's normal. If you have an error 77 however, retype the touch + kextcache commands.

Unlike Yosemite or El Capitan for instance, you will not obtain working audio in Sierra with a patched AppleHDA kext from a previous OS X version; you have to patch a vanilla version from Sierra.

• Like 1

Herve, you are the most helpful person I have ever met online !!!

I have sound working (including via HDMI) and the mic as well. 

Trackpad preference panel is blank in System Preferences, but I googled and found that it's a known issue with a solution to replace it somehow using stuff from El Capitan, but I am too tired and it's very late evening now. I will sure fix this last bit.

I have attached all the files I have used for my system - E6220 - Core i7 2620m

E6220-i7-2620m-Sierra.zip

Tested with Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2657) and Clover version is 3899.

Thanks again !

• Like 1

For anyone reading this in the future...

Following Pafkata's guide I was able to install Sierra with Clover on my E6220 I5.

Everything works but the trackpad preference pane, as explained in the guide. You have to use the one from El Capitan (save it before upgrading!) and it'll be fixed.

I even managed to upgrade to 10.12.1 from within AppStore. I just had to repatch audio and rebuild permissions/cache. Upgrading also fixed the volume buttons, now they are working again.

So far, so good!

Hi Guys!

Tried different variations (most of them focused on i5 version of E6220) and cannot even boot to installer.

Don't know what is wrong with my Dell. 

Each time stopped at different places but most of them - waiting for root device.

Have E6220 with i7 -  assume Sandy Bridge

If you're using the files in post#13 and you have different CPU then i7-2620m, then just leave off the SSDT.aml. Everything else in the files should work.

Didn't find any reliable guidance how to make it. Machine is not operable at all - I only could use Mac I have.

If you're using the files in post#13 and you have different CPU then i7-2620m, then just leave off the SSDT.aml. Everything else in the files should work.

Hi Jake,

what I have found: on my Dell E-6220 installed Core i7-2640M.

Similar CPUs use the same socket and architecture as Intel Core i7-2620M (PGA) and Core i7-2640M (PGA), however their performance and other characteristics are a bit different.

- so I did find anything different from commands or structure - same shall be.

@Bronxteck - not helped

I am also trying to have log written - somehow it is not in misc. Advice ?