E6220 - El Capitan installation issues

torakikiii

Please be patient. I'm following this guide but got lost somewhere.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7914-dell-latitude-e6220-with-i5-2520m-hd3000-and-1366x768-lcd-mavericksyosemiteel-capitan/

I managed to create the usb installer... soon I had the first issues. For some reasons the provided Enoch-rev.2795.pkg.zip would not work on my system telling me it is damaged. I went out on the net and found another version (Enoch-rev.2839.pkg).

This worked but I had no clue of what parameters to use. The guide doesn't say so I went for a custom install and selected "install on the selected partition" (not ESP).

The pc boots, I type the -v and -f and after some seconds I got a kernel panic.

I attached a pic since I can't copy.

- I have the Extra folder on the root of the usb with the decompress pack for my pc

- kernel, I used the vanilla 10.11.6 and I put the patch for the power management into extensions as suggested

Any help? I'm totally lost.

post-100547-0-78286100-1478009362_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

You install Enoch with the default settings, that's why there is no further details on its installation. The bootpack will then add all necessary options.

The KP is due to the VoodooPS2Controller provided in my pack, I need to replace it with Dr Hurt's Release 4. Grab it from here and you should then be able to boot 10.11.6 Ok.

I'll update the pack. My apologies for not doing this sooner.

Ok... editing my last post.

So I started from zero again.... default bios, legacy and sata mode set.

I made the usb installer, used enoch 2839 with default install, vanilla kernel.

Same result as image above.

Tried:

- using your pack 3

- using your pack 4

- using your pack 3&4 with the latest vodoo kext you gave me

Always same result.

It panics on ACPI... do I have to change something else inside Bios maybe, regarding power management?

Anyone else with a stock i5 E6220 can step in and help me on this before I give up forever?

Thanks!

Edited by torakikiii

• Administrators

Ok, found the issue: I uploaded a revised bootpack where KernelBooter_kexts is set to No. I've corrected that now.

What you can do with your current USB installer is interrupt Enoch's startup process when you see the moving character in the top left corner and type:

KernelBooter_kexts=Yes -f -v

This will ensure you load kexts from /Extra/Extensions (as desired) and boot without cache, bypassing /Library/Extensions.

Just for clarity, can you explain what you meant when you wrote: "I put the patch for the power management into extensions as suggested" ?

Well, we got a bit of action now! Indeed it wasn't loading kext.

New problem... I'm stuck at "still waiting for root device". It's not moving on.

I'm reading the forum... it could be the port, and I'm going to try to switch it in a minute or worse the usbinjector, and there I'd be lost!

Any other precious info?

Thanks for helping!

Since there is no usbinjector in the official E6220 pack I tried omitting it but nothing changed.

I noticed that the mouse light goes off some moments after the kernel starts loading... so there must be something turning out the usb ports... in facts there's also a message stating that it can't find the mouse,

I'll post a pic.

I feel like i'm so close to see it starting installing! :')

post-100547-0-65277800-1478032142_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Just to let you know that I made some final adjustments to pack 4 as detailed in the EC guide that I also slightly revised with regards to adding patched AppleHDA / AICPUPM / IOGraphicsFamily / AppleRTC kexts.

Should be much better for everyone now.

thanks guys for the help. So far the system got installed and it's mostly functional. Still 2 issues:

- I can't boot, I get an boot error 0 on the enoch bootloader. All is fine if I go through the usb stick. I did the install on mac os x, same parameters as the stick. I even copied the kexts on /L /E, rebuilt cache. What am I doing wrong?

- I have no sound, the output peripheral is totally missing.

Thanks! Anyway it's already a big success atm!

Edit: I've just seen new notes on the guide regarding audio, gonna try it. Still no luck with the boot problem tho

Edited by torakikiii