E6220 - El Capitan installation issues

torakikiii

• Administrators

Your boot issue is that of 4K sector HDD. Using the attached i386 folder extracted from Enoch r2839 package, copy the boot1h file to your OS X partition using the following process:
1) identify your OS X disk partition

diskutil list

2) copy the boot1h file to your identified OS X disk parition

cd <i386 folder>
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/<identified OS X disk partition>

`
Eg:

cd ~/Desktop/i386
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s3

i386.zip

It's a long time since I've had to do this myself, but if I remember well, you may not manage to properly execute the dd command on the mounted partition you've booted from. In that case, copy the i386 folder to the root of you USB installer, then boot it and open up Terminal once you've reached the OS X installer screen. Then use the commands above to copy the boot1h file to your HDD partition.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Solved the boot problem. Unfortunately after applying the latest kext provided I lost the mouse, webcam (I'm sure there was on the devices before) and still no sound.

I'm trying to revert to the previous situation so at least I'll have mouse and webcam although no sound! Weird... my system can enlist an intel audio device but for some reasons it can't use it

• Administrators

Make sure to repair permissions and rebuild the cache once you've copied the kexts to /L/E and the patched AppleHDA to /S/L/E.

If you only keep/use the kexts in /E/E, then you need to boot with options KernelBooter_kexts=Yes -f -v to inject the kexts at startup and you will not have audio.

Thanks for your feedbacki. I'm giving up for tonite. So...

- Audio works now, yay!

- NO usb yet... I need to figure out which kext was working, update the stick and manually copy it to the mac disk...

- I have no idea about which kext is responible of enabling my webcam. I'm pretty sure at the first boot it was there and then messed uo with some kext. Do you know which kext drives the webcam?

A note: I believe the only unsupported thing of the 6220 is the internal wifi adapter, isn't it?

Thanks and goodnite!

Hi there,

whenever it's necessary to chmod/chown/touch... is it really necessary to do it on the whole /e /l /s? or is it enough to just update the newly installed kext and then rebuild the whole cache?

I'm asking because it takes ages to do this process and I'm moving in and out quite a few kext while searching for the perfect setup.

Thanks.

P.s. at the moment the system is surprisingly quite Mac alike, I'm very pleased! I just miss the wi-fi and I guess I'll have to buy an adapter of some kind. Bummer :)

• Administrators

You can indeed adjust the permissions of the given kexts you're playing with. You still need to touch the containing folders and rebuild the cache. As such, it's not going to be any quicker than adjusting permissions for the whole folders, on the contrary. In fact, you're probably going to spend more time typing up the specific paths + kext names, especially if you're playing with multiple kexts.

Not trying to be big headed here but the latest pack I posted yesterday is probably one of the best tuned version you'll find around for a Chameleon/Enoch based installation. It covers everything: USB ports, HD3000 graphics, VGA + HDMI graphics, audio including jack+HDMI output, DW375 bluetooth, battery management, sleep & wake, SD card reader, LAN, keyboard and TouchPad, native CPU SpeedStep. Wireless depends entirely on the card fitted to your laptop so that's not going to be covered by any pack, no.

All you have to do is copy the kexts from /E/E to /L/E + patched AppleHDA to /S/L/E. Once you've then repaired permissions, rebuilt the cache and set KernelBooter_kexts boot option to No, you'll be set for good.

Wireless depends entirely on the card fitted to your laptop so that's not going to be covered by any pack, no.

I probably messed up while switching Kexts during my install tribulations.

So I believe I've only the usb to fix (that should give me mouse/usb ports and webcam too) and I'm quite happy already but... what do you suggest?

- try to do an upgrade to Sierra? will it works directly like on a Mac?

- do a clean install with sierra and use clover with your pack for El Capitan?

Thanks for your precious time, you've been very helpful.

so for the records or any people that will try to follow this post.

I started from scratch following Hervè's guide. I downloaded his #4 pack, enoch 2839, created the usb stick (when installing Enoch just use the defaults, don't go the customize way) and it booted straight to the installer.

two things though...

- don't forget to type -v -f before launching the installer

- Hervé... I might be wrong but I had to edit your Kernel.plist since it's empty

I added:

<key>KernelBooter_kexts</key>
<string>Yes</string>

In fact in your guide, last step, you refer to the kernel.plist suggesting to put No where there's a Yes.

Can you confirm this?

Thanks.