e6230 El Capitan install - need a little help

moonman

Have an e6230 with i5-3320M 2.6 processor. 

Created the USB installer following Herve's guide with Enoch. 

Like Herve said in another thread, I removed the ssdt.aml from root because it is for the 3340M processor, and I used NullCPUPowermanagement kext instead of AppleIntelCPU. 

I am using the Bios settings recommended here on the site. 

When I try to boot from the USB drive, using flags -f-v, the boot goes okay up until the final seconds. The progress bar gets to the end, but at that point: (1) I get the screen artefacts and (2) the boot stops. 

I have had the screen artefacts on boot in the past, but only for a few seconds and the boot finished okay.

I have tried different USB drives but I get the same result.

I downgraded the Bios from A14 to A12, then to A11, then to A06, but no change.

I have searched the site but can't find any specific solution.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks. 

• Administrators

A11 is the target version, not A12. You must 1st go back to version A03 or A02 if I remember well, then upgrade to A11. Use the lowest possible version available on Dell's support web site. BIOS version A12 and above will give you graphics artefacts.

It's all explained in the pinned reference E6230 BIOS thread available here, at the top of this very E6xxx section. I don't know how we could make this more visible...

• Administrators

Again, downgrading to A02 is a necessary intermediate step prior to upgrading to A11. All will be Ok afterwards or we would never recommend to do this. This being said, it's all up to you but we don't need to spend an entire thread on this.

Sorry. 

Anyway, as is often said in threads, please check the site before asking questions others have asked before. I did that, but - my fault - I didn't fully understand all the steps. These are probably second nature for you guys and I can understand that you get impatient with people. But I'm no expert and I really really appreciate what you guys do here. And I have donated, a sign of my gratitude for all your work. Money is tight (otherwise I'd donate more!!!), and I have a very limited budget for even an old Dell, so even if my worries were unnecessary, I just wanted to be sure about the right steps to take and in the right order, before proceeding. 

Thanks again.