D630 - Trying to install Yosemite

angus42

Hi, I'm trying to install Yosemite 10.10 on my DELL D630 (BIOS A13). All BIOS parameters are the same as those in the recommended settings topic.

As I have no MAC OSX device I created a USB bootable device on Windows :

I used "Transmac" to format as extended HFS+

I used "DiskImager for Windows" to put Yosemite on the device (Transmac is too long for this step)

When I boot my D630 on USB I got the following message : "No boot sector on USB device"

I think BIOS version has no matter with this message, agreed ?

Any informations will be very helpful to be part of hackintosh adventure ! :-)

Thank you all !

• Administrators

Absolutely nothing to do with BIOS. You just have no bootloader installed on your USB installer and without access to a Mac or a Hack, it's going to be tricky unless you can find a bootable image you can restore on a USB key or DVD.

• Administrators

What's your "Yosemite 10.10 DMG"? An image of an installation you got somewhere or the actual Apple installation package. Regardless, if it's not bootable, it's of no use and you still need to install a bootloader (EFI partition + bootstrap files)

• Administrators

Well, that's no good either. An OS X USB installer is just not a USB key with the Apple installation app copied onto it. I suggest you read the various guides we have around. Try and build your USB installer with a Virtual Machine maybe.

With regards to the D630 nVidia, you can consult this guide. The process involved in creating the USB installer is the same for Yosemite as it is for El Capitan or Sierra.

• Administrators

I know you  want to use chameleon as the bootloder and there used to be an app that would create an iso for chameleon back in the day.

but I also know that clover has compiled iso's on hand here https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)/files/Bootable_ISO/and there is also this for windows http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/bootdiskutility_exe/0-5 

if you need to work on an efi volume in windows 7 you can use these commands using an admin command prompt

mountvol x: /s
start x:

in windows 10 those commands also work but only in safe mode boot. and you have to jump a few hoops to get there.

maybe you can use clover to at least get you started then do the actual post install with chameleon.