Dell E6220 i7-2620m Clover detailed guide

pafkata

Hello,

I'd like to contribute to the forum and I have decided to write a detailed guide how I installed macOS Sierra 10.12.1 on my E6220 with Core-i7 2620m, HD3000, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD. I have received few personal messages for help, although there’s a perfect Enoch guide by Herve:
https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7914-dell-latitude-e6220-with-i5-2520m-hd3000-and-1366x768-lcd-mavericksyosemiteel-capitansierra/
and excellent generic El Capitan guide by Jake Lo:
https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-el-capitan-clover-guide/

I will follow Jake’s guide, but I will add more stuff and this guide will be useful for all Sandy bridge E6x20

Many thanks to all OS X latitude forum members, who helped me when I was very new to OS X.

Let’s start. You need:
1. E6220
2. 8GB USB or bigger
3.  Access to real mac to create install USB or if you have Windows/Linux you can use a virtual machine using virtualbox or vmmare

You should update your BIOS to A13 and set it to the following settings :
https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8281-e6220-bios-settings/

Download macOS Sierra from Apple store.

Prepare USB using the following instructions:

1: Prepare Bootable USB Drive
This step extracts the OS X Installer contents, then installs Clover bootloader to the USB stick.

1. Insert the USB drive on a running OS X system
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose GUID Partition Table
8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later)
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. Go to Applications, right click on “Install macOS Sierraâ€/Show Package Contents/Contents/ SharedSupport
12. Mount InstallESD.dmg
13. Launch ShowHiddenFiles and select “Show Special Files†( app attached at the end of guide)
14. Mount BaseSystem.dmg (hidden) from “OS X Install ESDâ€
15. Use Disk Utility to restore “OS X Base System†to USB (see image below)

16. After restore is complete, USB is now renamed to “OS X Base Systemâ€. Go ahead and rename it to “Install macOS Sierraâ€
17. Go to “Install macOS Sierraâ€/System/Installation and delete the alias “Packagesâ€.
18. Copy “Packages†from root of “OS X Install ESD†to “Install macOS Sierraâ€/System/Installation
19. Copy BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist (hidden files) from “OS X Install ESD†to root of â€œInstall macOS Sierraâ€
20. Launch ShowHiddenFiles and select “Hide Special Filesâ€
21. Download Clover EFI boot loader
22. Open Clover package installer
23. Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...
25. Choose “Install macOS Sierraâ€
26. Hit Continue, then hit Customize. Select these items:

• Install Clover in the ESP
• Bootloader/Install boot0af in MBR
• CloverEFI/CloverEFI 64-bits SATA

You can also select a Clover theme.

27. Click Install
28. After installation of Clover, the hidden EFI Partition will appear on the Desktop

Now you will need to browse the EFI partition and put the necessary files in the correct locations:

DSDT.aml and ssdt.aml should be copied to EFI partition and folders CLOVER->ACPI->patched

Important note: if you have different CPU and you use my ssdt.aml - you will get kernel panic. If you have i5-2520M which seems to be the most common - you can get ssdt.aml from the files provided in Herve’s guide - https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7914-dell-latitude-e6220-with-i5-2520m-hd3000-and-1366x768-lcd-mavericksyosemiteel-capitansierra/

If you have another CPU - then don’t use ssdt.aml and find NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, which should be added along with the other kexts. As of this writing, I do not know which is the latest such kext working OK with Sierra. If someone is ready to provide it - I can add it to the post. You can use a shell script ssdtPRGen.sh to generate ssdt.aml for your CPU after the install. The script is provided in the Tools zip to this post. You might want to google for a newer version.

Kexts should go to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/

config.plist goes to EFI/CLOVER/

Please use Clover Configurator to generate a new serial.
Just start Clover Configurator - File - Open - select config.plist from 
EFI/CLOVER/ and open it. Then SMBIOS from the left-hand list and click the magic wand and select first laptop picture and from the menu Macbook Pro 8,2 or 8,1 if you have the i5 processor. You can choose year of manufacture and click the buttons ‘shake’ to get different serials generated. When done - click File - Save.

Now you can reboot computer and start the installation. You can press F12 before boot and choose USB.

If you get kernel panic - one common reason would be if you have empty DIMM A slot, and only 1 RAM stick in DIMM B.

Move the RAM to DIMM A and try again.

For a new installation of macOS, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing.  
   a. From the menu bar, click Utilities -> Choose Disk Utility
   b. Highlight your target hard drive for the macOS installation in left column.
   c. Click Erase tab
   d. Under Scheme: GUID Partition Map
   e. Under Name: type Macintosh SSD (You can rename it later)
   f. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
   g. Click Erase
   h. Click on Partition Tab to add more partition if you prefer
   i. Close Disk Utility

Click Continue, Continue, Agree
Select Macintosh SSD, or name of your existing drive, where you want to install macOS and click Continue
Upon completion, system will restart
Press the F12 to choose boot device
Choose <Your USB Installer device>
When Clover boot screen appears, choose Macintosh SSD or name of your existing drive

The system will boot into the new drive, and complete the installation…

Launch the terminal and enter the following command

diskutil list

If you something about virtual drive like this:
     /dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):

Please enter the below command if you have only one disk and you are not setting up dual-booting:

diskutil cs revert /dev/disk1

Otherwise you have to find out which is the correct ending number from the data you see from “diskutil listâ€.

Then create a folder and mount EFI partition:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi

Now it’s the time to run Clover installer and install on your HDD/SSD in a similar way like when preparing the USB, however please select couple of more options:
• Install Clover in the ESP
• Bootloader/Install boot0af in MBR
• CloverEFI/CloverEFI 64-bits SATA
   • Install RC scripts on target volume
• Install Clover Preference Panel 
Copy DSDT, SSDT, kexts and config.plist to the EFI partition of your HDD. You can use EFI mounter if for some reason - it is not mounted after Clover install.

Now let’s fix the audio:

Copy AppleHDA_IDT92HD90.kext to /Library/Extensions
Copy AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

Repair permission and rebuild cache. Run command from terminal

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
      sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /L*/E*
      sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
      sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

Make sure to disable hibernation as it's a prerequisite to get sleep & wake to work Ok on a Hackintosh:
• sudo pmset hibernatemode 0
• sudo rm -f /var/vm/sleepimage
• sudo pmset hibernatefile /dev/null

Remove USB and reboot. You system should start fine, but you might notice that if you tap on the touchpad - it does not click.
Moreover, Trackpad preference panel may not load.

This is easily fixed by deleting:

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane

and replacing it with a Trackpad panel from El capitan. 

Link to download: http://www.megafileupload.com/85j1/Trackpad.prefPane.zip

I still had a persisting problem that whatever I set in Trackpad preferences - it’s not saved after reboot, so I used Dr. Hurt's app - Touchpad Settings.app , which I copied to the Applications folder and allowed access from System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Accessibility - Allow the apps below to control your computer and I added Touchpad settings.

I really hope that this will be very helpful to people new to hackintoshing and have Sandy Bridge models E6x20.

PS. I may have missed something and fix it later. More stuff could be added later, or improve formatting.
Feel free to criticize me and point out if I am doing something the wrong way :)
English is not my native language, but I think I have provided clear enough explanations.

Tools.zip

E6220-i7 2620m.zip

• Like 3

• Administrators

Add-on kexts are better placed in /Library/Extensions from where they can be cached, as opposed to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 (or EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other) from where they are injected at boot time.

For patched AppleHDA (IDT 92HD90), you may want to opt for Clover on-the-fly Sierra patches which are OS X updates resilient.

Find: 8419D411
Replace by: 00000000

Find: 8A19D411
Replace by: 00000000

Find: 8B19D411
Replace by: E7761D11

Your Clover config actually includes on-the-fly patches for AppleHDA whilst, at the same time, you use a pre-patched kext to replace the vanilla one. You should be using either/or but not both. On-the-fly patches will clearly have no effect on a pre-patched kext.

For 2nd/final stage boot glitch fix, you've also kept an obsolete on-the-fly patch for IOGraphicsFamily. For Sierra, the patch should be:

Find : 0100007525
Replace : 01000EB25

I think your Clover Config.plist is Jake's version from his Latitude/Inspiron/Precision El Capitan Clover guide.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will test and try it. I hope that even if I break something, I have enough experience to recover the OS.

I'd update the guide short afterwards once I have personal success setting it that way.

Is it allowed to upload TrackpadPrefpane from El Capitan to help people who also have issue with it ? Or it's better to provide an external download link ?

UPDATE: I have tried the improvements suggested by Herve and I almost screwed a perfectly working system. Maybe I am a lucky idiot, who is not experience in hackintoshing, but I managed to get a perfectly working system and I will not risk changing the settings again.

It turned out that I uploaded messed up config.plist ,so I fixed that and uploaded again

UPDATE 2

Appstore update to 10.12.2 - all good except for AppleHDA, which was replaced by the update. I just used the old kext used during installation and rebuild kernel cache and sound is working now. I do not see any other issues.