X62 (i7-5600u, HD5500) - El Capitan install issues?

flyingfishfinger

Hi there-

I'm not sure if this the correct forum to ask this question since the machine in question isn't strictly a Lenovo anymore. I've installed the X62 motherboard developed by the folks on 51nb in China, which is completely custom board meant to fit into an X61 case, upgraded with "modern" components.

It's got an i7-5600u with an HD5500 GPU, so I followed this guide here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-el-capitan-clover-guide/ and used the E5450_HD5500.zip EFI folder.

I performed the EFI Shell DVMT modification as suggested elsewhere; this made the USB installer boot successfully. I should note however that it only worked on a USB 3 port, never on a USB2 port.

No SATA devices were detected in the installer, so I used an external USB3 HDD instead, which worked.

Installation seems to have gone fine, so I left the HDD attached externally and tried to boot with 0x16160002 through Clover on USB installer, but so far I can't get it to work. Single user mode works fine & I get a prompt, but then one of two things happens, depending on whether I use safe mode or not. In safe mode, it hangs at a certain step (I'll have to go check where specifically, I didn't take a screenshot) and then appears to gracefully shut down. Without safe mode (after exiting single user mode), it hangs for a long time at the first screenshot I've attached and ultimately ends at the second, requiring a hard reboot.

Given that the install seems to have gone fine, what should I be looking for here?

Thanks,

Rafael

post-66999-0-48382900-1480549392_thumb.jpg

post-66999-0-31816900-1480549395_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Make sure to leave out the DSDT/SSDT in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched, not specific to your system. If you want them patch, hit F4 during boot in Clover, compress and attach /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Origin.

Boot with the USB installer, select the external drive to complete the installation. 

Then install Clover to the external drive with same settings you use for the USB Installer. Replace /EFI/Clover folder with the one from your USB installer.

Reboot without the Installer.

• Moderators

Yes, to both USB and HDD. 

What chipset does your HDD have? 8 Series, 9 Series or 10 Series?

Since it's a custom board, it's hard to know without documentation.

If you could boot to the desktop. Download DPCIManager.app.

That might be able to get some detail info about your system.

Hi,

Here is the /origin folder that results when I hit F4 when booting off the installer. The EFI partition on the HDD where I installed to is currently empty, because I haven't been able to complete any boot to Desktop or install Clover to it yet I guess?

Let me see what happens after I remove the contents of the "patched" folder, then.

EDIT: Exact same results, I'm unsure if removing the contents of that folder were actually what you meant.

I don't fully understand the details of Clover etc, so my apologies if I sound a little thick.

EDIT: Attached is CPU information, does this have what you were asking about?

R

USB_origin.zip

post-66999-0-04759700-1480555271_thumb.jpg

No change in behaviour, as far as I can tell. The only difference is that the Clover background now appears to be the blurred-out Yosemite wallpaper.

I should also point out that I believe the display is connected via eDP -> LVDS, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for the files, nonetheless...

R