Dell mobile Precision 7510 Intel hd530, black screen

ss2sameer

Can anyone help me with this?? So my 7510 has an AMD w5170m (R9 375x) and the Intel HD 530. Here is my issue:

iGPU only: interal display works correctly, external video outputs (HDMI, miniDP) don't work at all; kernel panic on the miniDP

dGPU only: using Ebi framebuffer and ATI inject (Verde kext too for power gates) the system boots but I am getting low color depth on my internal display, there is color banding, gradients look bad. But the HDMI and miniDP work and there is no color banding on the external displays, only my laptop display 😕 and I can't fix it... I tried EDID injection... Won't fix it. I tried injecting different framebuffers.. modifiying framebuffers..  (this was all done without whatevergreen.kext btw) With whatevergreen it's the same issue though, low color depth and color banding... :(

iGPU + dGPU: Intel controls the laptop display and it works fine, good color depth. External video outputs only show black screens, but the Mac system recognizes they are there in system prefs. Just black.

Ideally, I would just like to pick one GPU and disable the other, but have fully functionallity. If I can fix the video ouputs on the iGPU, or fix the color banding on the dGPU.

Any help would be appreciated.

So to continue this dual graphics discussion… For a while I understood that with Optimus enabled, the m2000m and iGPU both appearing in system profiler was relatively meaningless because apps I was running couldn't utilize it (adobe photoshop and illustrator showed only iGPU). However, I'm now testing a prerelease version of adobe illustrator that adds "eGPU" support and the m2000m now shows up in performance settings in illustrator. In addition, geekbench does appear to allow access to testing both cards.

What I'm now wondering is if there could be a way to "trick" the OS into thinking the m2000m is an eGPU to use globally or maybe it already does now that apple has added support, but I don't know what applications I could further test this with. 

Just, to me, some interesting observations. Obviously still a power drain, but has it's advantages and could be switched by simple restart. As a side note, I don't use Intelgraphicsfixup or Nvidia fixup as they both disable one or another external port.

@jonnyThanks a ton. This is the solution I have been finding for almost half a year!!! My hackintosh can now become more helpful in daily usage, that it couldn't before, due to the annoying steps when boot/reboot.

Chose the 1st menu entry to disable discrete Nvida card, and now both the black screen after waking from sleep, and card switching disabled issue have gone.

But I have 2 questions:

1. I copied your EFI folder to my existing hackintosh USB's to use the script. That causes my hackintosh rescue USB stop working, certainly.

Is there a way to have both your booting script and clover booting on the same USB, that will be convenient to only maintain a single USB.

2. Because I both use may laptop as a Windows and Hackintosh, and it will be preferred to have both graphics card on Windows, so is there a way to acquire that without booting to choose the 2nd option (restore BIOS setting) before booting to Windows.

Thanks in advance.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:51 PM, jonny said:

@giang_asl_8, suggest

1. Run install_to_ESP and follow directions to overcome this dilemma.

2. Need to choose option 2 to re-enable the dGPU if need it. If do the install_to_ESP then it's very easy to run before booting Windows as a F12 bootitem.

May I have one more question.

I successfully disabled the discrete Nvidia card using your guide, but I notice the script include setting DVMT buffer to 96MB, but I still cannot boot without the Clover's DVMT buffer patch (a panic related to AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer). As my understanding, this script sets buffer size to 96MB and the DVMT patch should be unneccessary.

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

P/S: The issue above is on a Mojave setup.