Network Ethernet Issues

beeson76

I just got Lion installed on my D630. Everything works great except, I am getting a Unknown State on my Ethernet. I have the Intel Wifi which I am going to get replaced with a Broadcom very quickly, in fact its on its way. But I rather be hooked up for the speed and reliability when I am at home.

Here is how the problem progresses.

When I first got Lion installed I had to create a new connection (Ethernet) by hitting the + and Ethernet Interface. After a few seconds, the IP address was "recognized" and in the green status.

But after time, it completely shuts off and goes in red status. Don't really know what happens, maybe it goes into sleep mode to many times. I really don't know.

So I restart the computer, and now I am in the yellow status with No IP address. Every once in a while while in the yellow status, I get internet access, but more times I have no internet access in yellow status.

But this has happened to me several times, so its not a one time thing that this has happened.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Administrators

Hi,

Two things to look our for.

Please boot a Linux live CD to check if your LAN is actually working correctly - overheating can in some cases cause the LAN port to render dead or unstable.

Secondly, make sure that you are running the latest bios update from dell or us.

Please report back

Thanks Leon. I will certainly try those two suggestions.

Black Screen Issues:

I did this so if someone is searching for it they can find it easier.

Also, I have been experiencing startup issues and I think this could be related to my ethernet too. I have read on the post, that some have been experiencing black screens on startup. A majority of the time, my D630 boots up fine, but every once in a while, it goes through the startup screen (white screen with apple Logo ( I should say OSX logo now :P ) but the next screen after that, where I should log in, I get nothing but a black screen. I feel like I should be starting a new thread on this so we don't get them all tangled together. But I am pretty sure that there is the logon screen there (just black) because when I type my password, the hard drive lights whirls to life and does stuff...I just can't see it.

I can't really pinpoint it to me making changes, rebooting it, and then it happening...though it did happen once like that.

I thought I pinpointed it to on Bios, instead of the D630 checking for the Docking video, I now have it on Internal Video. I thought this fixed it, but it happened again. Maybe its part of the problem...I have no idea.

I was having a severe problem when installing Lion for the second time, I couldn't get passed the startup screens, (Language, time zone, keyboard. etc.) screens because of it going to a black screen every time. I then remembered I went through bios and changed a lot of settings that I really didn't think I needed...I had it on Internal Video, but I changed everything back to default. I didn't have any problems with this the first time installing Lion...everything went perfect (because that was when I changed all the settings to those that I didn't think I needed). I then went back to defaults on everything after installing for the first time, and then I started having the problems with the black screen installing Lion the second time.

Does this sound like a common issue. Any solutions that anyone can help me with.

I love this forum. Everyone has been super informative and friendly.

Thanks

Thanks guys for the responses. Ive recreated the problem. Here is how I did it. I deleted my ethernet settings by hitting -. I then plugged my cable back in and hit + to create a connection. It stayed on yellow status, but I had internet access. I then shut down and rebooted. Black screen occurred again.

After logging in, or so I think, hdd light goes crazy and then stabilizes. Shut the top. It nevers goes into sleep mode, (no pulsing led). Open it back up and no video.

Hope this helps in you helping me :) :)

Thanks again for the help.

Now I will verify the 2 steps Leon wants me to do.

Ok :)

After doing more troubleshooting, Im about 90 percent sure the black screen has something to do with the Ethernet.

Whenever I make a change to my ethernet, whether adding, deleting, I get the black screen on the next boot up.

I have the latest Bios Version. I will now check if I have internet in Linux.

Thanks

After doing some messing around with it...I think my ethernet and Wifi (I just got my wifi card) shuts off (and never resumes) upon the computer going to sleep. Is that a common problem. Is there a fix for it.

It seems to happen to both my ethernet and now wifi.

Thanks for any replies and help.