[SOLVED] E6220 El Capitan / Chameleon (Enoch) – installer won't launch / Stuck at end of progress bar

DimitriGrimm

Hello (Hervé?),

I've tried every guide I could find, but none will get that El Capitan installer to even launch!

This guide was the last I tried, for El Capitan: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7914-dell-latitude-e6220-with-i5-2520m-hd3000-and-1366x768-lcd-mavericksyosemiteel-capitansierra/

My e6220 has a different CPU for which there are no guides: i5 2540M. I don't think that's the problem though.

When the installer wants to launch (taking very long), it gets all the way to the END of the progress bar, where it hangs forever. I've spent 3 days with the search engines of the mighty interwebs, feeding them symptoms and -v output, but no success.

Verbose mode, right now, after trying that Hervé guide with Chameleon, it stops at: "no task-access server configured! The system will not get very far".

Any hints? What would you need to have a look at this?

• Administrators

Is your BIOS configured as per recommended settings?

You have a different CPU than fitted to my own E6220 but my guide does stipulate that it's not a problem, you just have to generate your own CPU-specific SSDT using Pike R Alpha's well known generator script (you'll find it with a Google search).

As such, make sure you have NullCPUPowerManagement in /E/E when you boot your USB installer. If you use the pack I posted, you should normally boot in verbose mode and without cache. So you should see everything that happens being displayed on screen.

Hi,

and thanks.

1) The NullCPUPowerManagement is in the place you suggest.

2) The BIOS settings SHOULD be right. It's another one of these things where all kinds of search results return all kinds of suggestions on the topic. But the essential parts I think I've set correctly.

3) And I have fiddled around with all that SSDT stuff, for hours in fact, but the truth is, I don't know how to use this SSDT generator.

Let me explain: Following the instructions gets the script to create an SSDT of the Macbook I'm using it on, but I need the SSDT fitting for the Dell, don't I?

So I took these files from the Dell by booting into Clover and pressing F4. That gave me six different SSDT files, named like this:

– SSDT-0.aml

– SSDT-1.aml

– SSDT-2x.aml

– SSDT-3x.aml

– SSDT-4x.aml

– SSDT-5x.aml

I don't know where to go from there. One of these can become THEE SSDT to put in your Extras folder?

Edit: I saw a 'how to' on generating SSDTs, and it appears, those can only be made from within OSX once it's on there (?), I can't even get the installation going. It's best to go without any SSDT on the Installer stick at all for now, I suppose?

It'd be nice if this SSDT stuff was the actual problem, 'cause then I could focus on that and fix it. But I suspect it's something completely different. The Verbose output halt doesn't correspond with how far the progress bar makes it (to the end) before it freezes. Or newly, after all the messing about, gives me a prohibited sign.

Makes me want to start all over again for the 8th time or so.

• Administrators

There's a thread listing all the BIOS recommended settings in this very section. Please read it. With a bit of attention you normally can't miss it, it's the 3rd one down the list...

Re: SSDT, I think you got it all wrong. Indeed, you start with no SSDT. Look up Pike R Alpha's blog for the CPU power management SSDT generator, it has a full set of instructions re: usage.

There's a thread listing all the BIOS recommended settings in this very section. Please read it. With a bit of attention you normally can't miss it, it's the 3rd one down the list...

Those are the settings I've used indeed.

Re: SSDT, I think you got it all wrong. Indeed, you start with no SSDT. Look up Pike R Alpha's blog for the CPU power management SSDT generator, it has a full set of instructions re: usage.

OK. My installer doesn't even launch fully, so the SSDT is not part of my current problem and just added unnecessary confusion. It can be looked into and generated once I make it past the installation of OS X. But how do I get there if I don't know what the problem is?

I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, I did. I followed your guide and many others, as described in my first post. Many, many hours of searching forums. I thought this laptop was compatible, but apparently it isn't.

I'll start over once more and then give it a rest.

• Administrators

The E6220 is one of the best laptops in terms of compatibility with OS X/macOS, have no doubt about that.

There's obviously something very wrong with your setup or USB installer but I cannot say what. Maybe you're not using a genuine copy of El Capitan installation app. I've never encountered or heard of the message you reported: "no task-access server configured! The system will not get very far".

This way it worked:

1) Removed the HD from the DELL, connected it to the Macbook with a disk reader.

1) Did a regular El Capitan installation (From a clean El Capitan USB installer, no special kexts or Clover added) onto that drive.

2) Installed the most recent version of Clover onto the drive, and then moved all the Kexts from the Jake Lo guide into place (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-clover-guide/&do=findComment&comment=54632) – essentially doing the post installation procedure, hEckintosh still connected as an external drive.

3) Put the drive back into the E6220, booted without an issue and did the permission fixes and cache rebuild

4) Created the SSDT and put it into place + the rest of suggested Post installation tweaks (SMBIOS details, hibernation and such).

Now I'm trying to get the sound to work. I believe the APPLEHDAIDT.kext (latest version from February 2015) should sort this out, but it doesn't. The search continues!

• Administrators

Audio should work without issues with the IDT dummy kext found in my E6220 El Capitan pack + the published AppleHDA Clover on-the-fly patches. Details of this IDT 92HD90 (codec 76E7) patch are available in numerous threads/posts.