Issues with E6530 booting Sierra

arcaman6

Hi

Working on an install of Sierra on Dell E6530 which has gone well up to a point. I have been following the excellent guide by Hervé from here.

Had to do some work arounds as things seem to be a little different for E6530 than E6230 (which the guide was written for) but now at the stage where Enoch will boot the main OSX installation but it will stop with a message stating that AppleACPICPU kext has timed out. If you wait for a while you get the Apple splash screen and timer but the timer does not count down and booting has stopped. Booting with -x option and I can boot completely and OSX works pretty well but no sound and probably some other missing kexts.

My E6530 has an i7 processor (i7-3630QM) so the Extra folder kexts from the E6230 guide may not be correct or there may be some other incompatibility. Can someone point me as to what to try? I guess I may need a different DSDT.aml?

Other information which might be useful

Have not copied kexts to S/L/E - they are being injected

Standard HD screen but I intend to upgrade to 1080p one install complete. No NVidia graphics card.

Has Intel WIFI card but have ordered DW1510 card to replace - currently using wired Ethernet connection

Bios is A11

Disk is conventional HDD but will transfer contents to SSD when install complete - SATA is ACHI.

8GB ram

Cheers

I have a Dell e6530 with i5 HD4000 iGPU 8gb ram Bios A13 and now that I've replaced the wifi card with Broadcom BCM43224HMS me it works very well even wifi.

I practically all works:
- Ethernet
- Wifi
- Bluetooth
- USB 3
- HDMI
- Audio
- SD Cards
- Graphics card and monitor
- IMessage, Facetime, Airdrop, Handoff (partially)
If you want I can send my DSDT.aml and /Clover/Kext/10.12 folder where there are kext I used. I used the Clover r3974 version.

• Administrators

The best thing to do until one has generated his/her own CPU-specific SSDT is to run with NullCPUPM. The time-out related delay with AppleACPICPU may be linked to patched AICPUPM without proper SSDT. I guess arcaman6 will know once he has generated and used his SSDT.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have actually used PikerAlpha's ssdtPRGen.sh and generated a new SSDT. This did not fix my problem unfortunately.

So just to be clear I am doing the right thing - I generate the right SSDT for my processor and then do I need to remove the NullCPUPM from /Extra/Extensions?

Cheers

• Administrators

/E/E is only used with Enoch to inject kexts at startup if you boot with option KernelBooter_kexts=Yes. It's not used with Clover but it operates the same way as kexts placed in EFI/Clover/kexts/xxxx.

For kexts to be cached (which is what anyone would want), they should be placed in /L/E (that's the place meant for 3rd party kexts) or, alternatively, /S/L/E but that latter is better kept vanilla/untouched (except for patched  AppleHDA).

Hi Guys

Happy to report my installation is now working - my problem turned out to be with the org.chameleon.Boot.plist as it had UseKernelCache set to Yes instead of No - once I copied the kexts into /L/E and rebuilt the cache everything burst into life.

Some remaining issues are 

1. Trackpad works except that double tapping does not open anything and you have to use the trackpad button. I think this is a known issue as the trackpad panel in Settings is also blank. Anyone have a good fix or workaround for it?

2. Need to move from HD to FHD (1920x1080) screen. I'm guessing MacOS will adjust automatically or do I have to change settings or patch something?

3. SD card and HMI still to be tested but I'm guessing it should work straight off with the kexts I already have.

3. Dell UK keyboard will need a keyboard driver but I have made a few before so that should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks again

arcaman6