El Capitan or Sierra on Thinkpad X201?

gpetrowich

Has anybody been successful installing El Capitan or Sierra on a Lenovo Thinkpad X201?

I'm running Mavericks on it now and I've got an installer working for Yosemite, but by now I'd rather go up another generation or two. I've built a clover installer for El Cap using the method here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286092-guide-1st-generation-intel-hd-graphics-qeci/

And I've studied a dozen other threads on x201 and x220 but can't get past Yosemite.

Yes, I've flashed the BIOS with the open version and have a Dell 1510 wifi card.

I never can get clear graphics to finish the install. Always a white/gray screen with a bar, etc. I've removed the AppleIntelHD extensions. I've tinkered with the Config file... but nothing. I've copied the kexts and DSDT's from my successful Mavericks install and from my Yosemite loader but no joy.

Hoping somebody has a successful install that they can share the EFI folder for?

• Like 1

have you tried using an external monitor or with your boot set to 1440x900x32 or 1280x800x32 what ever your monitors native res is.  as far as acceleration in theory the kext / patches for Yosemite should work on el cap with some tweaking.  I love were your going with this, keep up the good work you'll get there!

Well... that's probably about the only thing I haven't tried. Since this post I've successfully installed Sierra on an x220 and it works great. But I just can't let the x201 go... so I'll hook up an external monitor sometime and get back to it.

uh... one thing. Do I have to have Mavericks or any other hacked OS already installed... or can I load the USB stick from this?

thanks again!

ps... if it doesn't put you out too much... a guide would be great! I just got this thing last week and haven't found much info on hacking it... other than some that say it's not that good of a laptop to hack...

it's an i7 2.53GHz with 8GB ram. I plan on making it a dual-boot with W10

I haven't much experience other than installing 10.6 on a Asus 1005...years ago