E6430: Kernel Panic with Hervé's E6230 guide

troorl

• Administrators

Remove the offending Shiki kext since it appears to cause issues at installation time. It's a very recent addition to the bootpack. I'll remove it from the pack posted in the guide and will recommend to use it as as post-installation item.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself and tried Jake Lo's guide with the E6230_A11 boot pack. It works almost perfectly, I couldn't wish more.

Though there is a tiny issue with sleep, or rather two different issues. First, it seems like when I use the Fn+F1 hotkey, it switches to some other mode, which doesn't work properly (unlike automatic sleep or using the menu option). And the second one is minor, but annoying: after the laptop wakes up, the HDD indicator starts blinking constantly and doesn't stop. It doesn't behave like that before sleep, and I'm pretty sure it's not i/o activity either. Have you encountered such an issue?

Otherwise, the system seems to work perfectly. I'm extremely grateful for what you're doing here in this community. 

• Moderators

Fn+F1 work differently on a hackintosh, don't use it for sleep.

Either sleep by closing lid or use the menu option.

Not sure about the HDD activity, maybe try replacing DSDT with one from E6430, and not use one from E6230. 

• Administrators

Fn-F1 does not properly put E6230 to sleep under Sierra; it seems to actually kick hibernation instead. So the laptop will actually shutdown and a sleep image file will be created.

It's probably a side effect of some incompatibility with the generated CPUPM-related SSDT. I had fixed a similar issue on the E6440 under Yosemite. Until we suss this out, proceed as JakeLo recommends: close the lid or use Apple menu option.

• Administrators

You can adjust the DSDT of a HiRes HD4000 E6430 to your LoRes model by the following simple modification of the _DSM method of the iGPU device located at address 0x00020000:

• set DualLink from 1 to 0
  • set layout-id from 0x01660004 to 0x01660003

In ACPI code, this translates to:

Before

"AAPL00,DualLink", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        }, 
                        "AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x04, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01                         
                        }, 

After

"AAPL00,DualLink", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        }, 
                        "AAPL,ig-platform-id",
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x03, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01                         
                        }, 

You can also remove the entry for "AAPL00,DualLink" entirely.

Thanks for the tip. I just tried it with the E6530_HD4000_Only.zip bootpack, it seems like the blinking has stopped. Though I noticed few other problems, and they're common for all three DSDTs I've tried so far (including my native DSDT without patches I extracted with Clover).

First, the webcam doesn't work. It's weird, because I remember that it definitely worked few days ago when I tried to install Sierra. I specifically checked it during account setup.

Second, one of 3 USB ports doesn't work. I added PCIID_XHCIMux kext to my Clover, as you noted in your guide, but it didn't help.

And the third one is really minor. I got native brightness control, but only for decreasing (Fn+F3 instead of Fn+Down as marked on my keyboard). I didn't manage to find the other combination for increasing brightness. In my DSDT I have the same value for PNLF device _UID as you mentioned in your guide. Does it work for you? If so, what keys are dedicated for it on your keyboard?

• Administrators
  • Fn-F3 for reduce brightness
  • FN-Insert to increase it

Your Webcam is USB-internal and the trouble you experience is linked to your other USB issues. Basically, you need to rename DSDT EHCx devices to EH0x and use a USB injector. This matter is widely discussed and covered on all forums including this one. Do a Search on the matter.