Screen dimming to black with every change I make

frikeando

Hi all,

I have a 5440 (Intel graphic card and 768p screen). I successfully install Sierra, everything working but wifi and audio.

Regardless the change I want to make, audio or wifi drivers, on next boot the screen dims to black when apple logo. If I boot with -v, it keeps happening. It's not that the screen suddently goes black, but slowly in about 1 second.

In safe mode everything goes well, I get to the OS.

If I install official wifi drivers (TP-Link TL-WN725N), it happens. If I try to fix the ALC292 audio, it happens.

Any guess what happens?

Thanks

• Administrators

What exactly do you do when you "try to fix the ALC292 audio" ?

ALC292 requires:

1) installation of dummy ALC292 kext in /L/E

2) patching of AppleHDA (2 x patches) in /S/L/E

3) cache rebuilding

• Moderators

Where did you get your Bootpack from?

What BIOS version are you running?

Could be the DSDT you're using is from another version of Bios, that would cause strange this like this.

Boot to Clover menu, hit F4, then continue to OS X. Compress and attach Clover folder here.

After lots of testing, I am always stocked in the same thing.

I create a bootable USB with the EFI folder I attach, install Sierra. Everything works OOB (I replaced the wifi card) but sound, which I patch with the file I also attach. Great, everything is OK.

But whether I install Clover... Anything I do, the screen dims slowly to black if I try to boot it from Clover.

If I boot from the USB and select HDD, everything works.

Re: ALC292, check my E6440 Sierra guide for dummy ALC kext & AppleHDA patching instructions.

For the sound, I just use kext utility/kext wizard with the kext I attach, nothing else required and Int works.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

EFI.zip

• Moderators

You're manually patching AppleHDA and using Clover Hot-patches, stick with one or the other, not both.

If you're using the Clover hotpatch, you'll need to restore the vanilla AppleHDA and install a dummyHDA and disable patch AppleHDA #4, not needed for Sierra.

This is not a problem. The sound works!

The thing is that when I install clover and then I copy the CLOVER folder into the EFI folder inside EFI partition, the laptop does not boot.

If I boot from that USB with the EFI folder I attached, it boots.