[SOLVED] Brightness issues after upgrade to 10.12.4

jwresp

After I upgraded to Sierra 10.12.4 yesterday, brightness is not working anymore. Instead the brighness is at the maximum value. Changing the brightness with Fn+F3 and Fn+Insert shows apple's brightness indicator changing, however without effect. I tried installing Rehabman's latest IntelBacklight.kext on my EFI partition, without luck unfortunately.

What are the steps I should take in order to fix the brightness in Sierra 10.12.4?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Afaik, there should be no need for IntelBacklight kext on your Azul (HD4400) E7440. My Azul (HD4600) E6440 runs 10.12.4 as per any previous OS X version with "just":

1. Azul framebuffer/layout-id 0x0a260006 injection in DSDT
  2. Desktop HD4600 id injection in DSDT
  3. Rehabman's FakePCIID + FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics kexts

After upgrading to 10.12.4 from 10.12.3, I still have the brightness bar in the display PrefPane and I can still increase or decrease brightness with Fn-Insert or Fn-F3.

Thank you for your reply Hervé,

I have used the E7440 bootpack from the Clover Guide with a replaced VoodooPS2Controller from Dr Hurt. In my EFI kexts there are two files listed similar to the ones you mentioned: FakePCIID.kext and FakePCII_HD4600_HD4400.kext. Are you suggesting to replace them by FakePCIID + FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics kext's from the latest release of RehabMan's OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID?
And can I then safely remove IntelBacklight.kext?

I am relatively new to patching, therefore I am not sure if my DSDT from the bootpack contains the patches you mentioned. Can I find this out by unpacking my DSDT using MaciASL?

Thank you for all your help.

• Administrators

Your Azul/HD4400 tuning should be visible either in your Clover configuration file (config.plist) and/or the iGPU section of your DSDT (look up for the _DSM method that should be under the iGPU or GFX device located at address 00020000). Regarding the Clover config file, I recommend you open it with Clover Configuration app. Regarding the DSDT, indeed you can open it with MaciASL.

If in doubt, post a zipped copy of your EFI folder and we can have a look.

Thank you for your replies. When I looked through my config.plist, I found out that there already is a FakeID IntelGFX 0x04128086. I also found multiple AppleIntelFramebufferAzul patches which probably should be removed. I have included the full EFI folder if you would like to have a look. Can you tell me what should be removed? In Jake Lo's Kexts/Other/LE folder I found a AppleBacklightInjector.kext which probably also should be included.

Would it be possible to check the EFI folder of Jake Lo from a usb stick or secondary hard drive, without removing my current EFI files?

Thank you for your time.

Edit I tried Jake Lo's EFI folder, and everything works perfectly. Thank you so much! Except for some reason the alt + windows key have switched. (Switched by replacing the alt and windows key on the keyboard 8-) ) and the tilde sign cannot be entered with the leftmost key. Instead a § is entered.