[SOLVED] Dell Latitude E7450 Intel 5500 with discrete nvidia 840m

roniez

Hello.

I am attempting to install macOS Sierra on my e7450 with discrete nvidia 840 and intel 5500 as per guide:
https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8514-dell-latitude-e7450-clover-uefi-only/

It's refering to changing the DVMT in the guide to ensure windows reports 96mb. Mine currently reports 128, bios reports 64
and using setup_var 0x15b in uefi shell shows that  it is set to 0x03. I get the Prohibitory symbol on boot after using the stick that was created. A15 Bios version.

And wondering if anybody could have any idea on what i am doing wrong.

Kind Regards
Roniez

• Administrators

Since Optimus (dual GPU) is not suported on Hackintposhes, I'd say you need to disable Optimus in your BIOS to run only off the iGPU. Then boot in verbose mode to see where the system hangs (if it still does).

Unfortuently i dont have an option to disable the nvidia card (optimus within the bios settings)

Does anybody know of a bios version that allows this or if there is anyway to disable it with uefi shell?

• Moderators

The discrete will need to be disabled by  DSDT patching. The file from my guide is for HD5500 only. Boot to Clover, hit F4. Compress and attach the Origin folder found in /EFI/Clover/ACPI.

Also for DVMT, you need both 0x15b ad 0x15c set to 0x3, NOT just 0x15b

I am using the latest macOS installer from appstore, 

I will have the compressed Origin folder uploaded today, was travelling for a few days.

EDIT: Redone the usb installer and now it worked fine, did not need to disable optimus in bios (not possible)

did not need to patch the DST to disable it (might have occured manuallly)

• Moderators

Should still patch DSDT to disable the discrete card otherwise it'll drain up your battery. If you look under Graphics/Display in System Info, you should see both graphics card loaded, even though the discrete is not being use.

• Moderators

As you can see, the discrete is loaded as Display which is draining your battery.

Boot to Clover, hit F4. Compress and attach the Origin folder found in /EFI/Clover/ACPI.

Please include the version of BIOS you're exporting this from.