Success - E6540 with HD4600 plus AMD Radeon HD 8790M

mpotturi

@mpotturi,

which guide did you follow, bootpack used and what error are you encountering?

please include system specs.

HD 4600 only or Optimus with Nvidia as well?

Thanks for the response Jake. This is the guide (posted by you). https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-clover-guide/

I followed a couple of other guides from different fora and none of them worked. However, I have to say that your guide did work for ElCapitan but not for Sierra. Even for ElCapitan, it did not work with USB stick. I had to use hard disk drive and connect it via a caddy in the CD drive bay. With USB, the installer could never boot up. It always runs for a couple of minutes and then it comes up with a garbled screen displaying Don't icon (circle with a slash across) at the center and sits there forever. Here are my specs:

Dell Latitude E6540 with IGP HD4600 plus AMD Radeon HD 8790M adapters. It has 16 GB ram and i7-4610M processor. All of its USB ports are USB3. I tried hooking up a USB2 hub and using the USB install stick via that but it did not make any difference.

My USB installer continues to give that dreaded 'Don't' icon (circle with a slash) at the center of the screen even with your updated boot pack for A17 bios. However, with this boot pack now I am able to install Sierra using a small hard disk drive partition as boot drive. Therefore My end goal has been reached. Appreciate your help Jake. If you want to dig further as why my USB is still failing, I can provide all the feedback you need. Just let me know what I need to send you. Thanks once again Jake! You made my day.

• Moderators

Did you try booting the USB installer from different ports?

Now that you have installed it, do all the USB ports work?

Test to make sure everything else is working:

Sleep with LID close

Wake when opening LID

Webcam

Bluetooth

HDMI audio/video

SDCard reader

Tried all 4 USB ports. None of them worked (wth the installer USB stick). However, after installing Sierra, all 4 ports are functioning normally. Keyboard, trackpad, trackpad button mouse buttons, SD card, ethernet, HDMI port are all working. Haven't tried VGA yet. My audio is NOT working and so is my web cam. For audio, I do not see any input and output devices.Not sure if I have to patch AppleHDA kext. Sleep/wake etc are working just fine. Closing the lid puts it to sleep and opening it wakes it back up. so all things considered, it was a good start I would say. Appreciate if you could guide me in fixing up my audio and web cam.

Regards,

Mohan

• Moderators

VGA is not supported in OS X...

Did you install the kexts in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/LE to /Library/Extensions?

Run permission fix and rebuild cache as per the guide?

Try this to see if it fixes the webcam issue

Replace the Config file and add the kext to /EFi/Clover/Kexts/Other

Do the same on the USB installer to see if it'll boot

USB-fix.zip

• Like 1

You are the man Jake! With this config file and additional kext, my USB installer is flying now. My web cam and audio are also working beautifully. You are right - out of excitement of having a successful install, I somehow skipped that step of copying the kexts from LE directory to /Library/Extensions folder and rebuilding permissions. I can't thank you enough my man. Appreciate all the help you gave me.

Regards,

Mohan