PayPal donations: [email protected] ×
loganw

[GUIDE] E7470 - Need help with post-installation process?

I must mention, this video would have been totally, entirely, utterly nonexistent if it wasn't for the high values of selfless service which Jake Lo harbors within his mind and heart. I am truly grateful for him stepping unto the call and assisting with not only helping me sort out the post-installation, but also going a step further and creating a video so someone else can find it useful.

The video, folks:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OUwRjI3g9Q&feature=youtu.be'>[/media]Edit: 23rd May 2017

Have you installed macOS Sierra onto your Dell E7x70 series laptop but are clueless as me on how to do the post installation and get basic things like audio and sleep working?

Look no further, here is a video showing you exactly how to do the post installation on this series (E7x70) of Dell's laptops. In my case, it was the Dell E7470.

I must mention, this video would have been totally, entirely, utterly nonexistent if it wasn't for the high values of selfless service which Jake Lo harbors within his mind and heart. I am truly grateful for him stepping unto the call and assisting with not only helping me sort out the post-installation, but also going a step further and creating a video so someone else can find it useful.

The video, folks:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OUwRjI3g9Q&feature=youtu.be

Below is my first post to this thread before the video was made.

Hi guys,

So I have finally managed to get the macOS Sierra working on the laptop. I have decided to totally remove the windows installation and leave macOS only.

I tried used the ssdtPRGen.sh script from the bootpack for Sierra. It failed with an error unable to detect the CPU.
After which, I continued reading the guide here and noticed that there were some notes. Specifically Note 2 which suggested to install or run the beta version of the ssdtPRGen.sh script.

Things started happening in the terminal, I was relived until I read the logs.

ssdtPRGen.sh v0.9  Copyright © 2011-2012 by † RevoGirl

v6.6  Copyright © 2013 by † Jeroen

v21.5 Copyright © 2013-2017 by Pike R. Alpha

-----------------------------------------------------------

Bugs > https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues <

/Users/7470/Desktop/ssdtPRGen.sh: line 3862: /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/Data/Versions.cfg: No such file or directory

/Users/7470/Desktop/ssdtPRGen.sh: line 3923: /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/Data/Models.cfg: No such file or directory

System information: Mac OS X 10.12.5 (16F73)

Brandstring: "Intel® Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz"

Notice: Downloading extractACPITables.zip ...

unzip:  cannot find or open /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/extractACPITables.zip, /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/extractACPITables.zip.zip or /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/extractACPITables.zip.ZIP.

rm: /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/extractACPITables.zip: No such file or directory

Fixing executing bit of extractACPITables ...

chmod: /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/Tools/extractACPITables: No such file or directory

/Users/7470/Desktop/ssdtPRGen.sh: line 2674: /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/Tools/extractACPITables: No such file or directory

grep: /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/ACPI/SSDT*.aml: No such file or directory

Error: /Users/7470/Library/ssdtPRGen/ACPI/DSDT.aml not found!

Aborting ...

Done.

As you can see, there definitely is an error and I'm unable to proceed at this stage. I'm kinda afraid to even restart the pc at this moment.

PS: While we are working with the post-installation, could someone tell me which is the correct file to use to get the audio working? 

PS2: The network LAN port is also not working.

Edited by loganw
  • Like 1

Hi!

The beta version of the ssdtPRGen.sh requires a working internet connection to work properly.

Did you follow the guide in all of its parts? Because all the kexts are there to work properly.

Did you replace de wi-fi card with a working one? Intel wireless cards are not supported by macOS

Thanks for replying :D

Will it not work with the lan connection? I have ordered the wifi card and await its arrival.
While I await the wifi card, would it not be possible to get the ethernet working?

There were kexts in the bootpack E7x70 sierra. I copied those to the EFI folder in the partition of the macOS partition. So I guess I'm fine there?
How do I install the audio kext? Please explain with steps. I'm a totally new person to this operating system. it's been a learning curve and am finding my way around things, so far so good.

Oh gosh, so I just restarted the PC to test the kexts. And Voila. I cannot boot into mac os. It just reboots.

So I think of booting through clover on the usb and it does NOT detect any mac os installation. I'm just hanging in the air right now.

Can someone help me over iMessage?

Ok so for some reason the USB boot was not working either. It actually went straight to the macOS clover version.

So I put the USB back onto the VMware machine. Reinstalled clover onto the USB, put the EFI folder + bootpack onto it and booted through USB clover into the operating system.

Now, I am getting more clueless on how to correctly do the post-installation. I would really appreciate a guiding hand.

To get ethernet working, you might have to Disable or Enable Legacy Option ROMs in the BIOS.

Yay! It worked. The setting was under Advanced Boot Options. And Legacy Option ROMs was Enabled. I disabled It as you suggested and now I am for the first time typing from the laptop! :)

Now, could you help me setup the post-installation? I have E7470 running through the USB Clover installation. Could you just, for the sake of my simple brains, post to this thread the steps I need to take? Going through the guides is becoming cumbersome as some files are across multiple posts or threads and it is becoming hard to keep track of where to go what to do...

Just follow the Post Installation in the guide. You could skip the SSDT generation for now, not needed to boot or sleep to work.

Use the bootpack from the update section here when adding it to EFI partition.