Dual Monitor Issue

asr1981

Yesterday I got a monitor gave to me so I decided to try out dual monitors and shut down the computer and hooked up the second monitor.  Well both monitors were working great and both were recognized as the correct models.  I played around with them for a while testing screen savers and watching youtube videos.    I actually feel asleep with electric sheep running on both of them and turned the power off of my big display.   When I work up this morning my computer had went to sleep and when it resumed I only had graphics working on just one of the displays. 

I can't get both to work again at the same time.   I'm using an ati card with hdmi and dvi outs.    The monitor I turned off last night was connected to the dvi output and that is the output that will not work at all now even hooked up by itself and rebooting.   So does anyone know what I need to change to get both working again?   It has to be a config issue but I don't know which file to edit or to delete.    I did reset the nvram but that didn't help. 

Thanks for any suggestions. And sorry if I posted this in the wrong section... I didn't see anywhere else to post.

Well I finally got it going! :)      I googled and found a similar issue to what I was having and the solution for them was to delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist  and reboot.    Well I tried that and it didn't fix my problem,  in fact it caused another issue.... now one of my monitors wouldn't work at all no matter which port I hooked it in.  

So I decided to try one more thing...  I had an older clone of my OS X on another drive so I used that file from the clone and rebooted and both monitors started working again.  And after that I rebooted again and they are both still working..   I'm not completely sure but I believe my problem was caused by using the screen saver and changing the screen saver's display setting to display on both monitors and that it caused something to get corrupted in the com.apple.windowserver.plist.