Kernel Panic after booting into USB pen

botalon

Hello,

I followed Option 1 to create the bootable pendrive, installed the Chameleon package on it and copied the Extra.zip folder. After that, I can boot with the USB drive and get the options to either boot into the existing disk, or the 10.6 installation DVD. However, right after starting I get the dreaded screen asking you to turn your machine off (Mac's BSOD). I have tried several times with same behavior.

My machine is a Dell D620 with A08 BIOS, Intel 945GMA, Intel wifi, 2 Gb RAM. I have already successfully installed SL on the same hardware, even upgraded it to 10.6.8. However, performance suffered a lot and was looking for another installation process to see if it works better. Actually, the USB preparation was done on the Dell.

Does anybody have any clues/workarounds to be able to install?

Regards

boot -v -x and see where it's stuck... but the culprit could be chameleon... what version are you running

also update your bios for dsdt compatability.

Thanks, Chameleon is v 2.0 RC5 r665. When booting with this image there doesn't seem to be anyway to enter arguments. When using the D620slv1.iso, I did see that possibility. What BIOS version do you recommend?

Regards

Thanks, Chameleon is v 2.0 RC5 r665. When booting with this image there doesn't seem to be anyway to enter arguments. When using the D620slv1.iso, I did see that possibility. What BIOS version do you recommend?

Regards

To make your USB drive, use the following the bootpack as provided for your model and desired OS:

http://www.osxlatitude.com/supported-models/

Just extract the above zip file and place it on the USB stick.

To make your USB drive, use the following the bootpack as provided for your model and desired OS:

http://www.osxlatitude.com/supported-models/

Just extract the above zip file and place it on the USB stick.

Andy

I have updated my BIOS to the A10 version. Created the USB disk again, this time adding the bootpack for the D620. For some reason, it will not let me boot from it. I get an "no boot sector in USB disk" error. Should I switch to another Chameleon version?

TIA!

Did you install Chameleon to the USB? It doesn't sound like it.

Good Luck,

Freedomrock

Yes, I did install it with no errors. Only difference I have with the described process is that my USB disk is 16 Gb instead of 8. I don't think it should matter and the manual process described as option 2 indicates you need 8+. I have used the same USB stick before to boot Linux installers with no issues.

Regards

Yes, I did install it with no errors. Only difference I have with the described process is that my USB disk is 16 Gb instead of 8. I don't think it should matter and the manual process described as option 2 indicates you need 8+. I have used the same USB stick before to boot Linux installers with no issues.

Regards

I have updated to the latest Chamaleon 2.1 r1755, and after reviewing the logs, it seems to be having issues with setting the boot record properly

Chameleon installer log - Thu Dec 29 10:43:03 EST 2011

Installer version: 2.1svn 1755

======================================================

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *80.0 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Hackintosh 79.7 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Mac OS X Install DVD *16.0 GB disk1

Running Standard postinstall script

Target volume = /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD on /dev/disk1

NOTE: Target has existing unrecognised bootcode in the MBR. Leaving as is.

Detected a Windows installation on this volume.

Stage 0 loader not written to /dev/di.

Written boot1h to /dev/rdisk1.

Written boot to /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD on /dev/disk1.

Preparing to check target disk for previous installations.

Going to check the EFI system partition also.

Checking di.

Nothing found that could cause any problems.

Windows is installed so that can remain the active partition

Standard script complete

Running Post postinstall script

Target volume = /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD

No elements selected for adding to an Extra folder,

so leaving existing /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Extra folder untouched.

Cleanup: ,2

Post script complete

Any thoughts? It was created as GUID when initially formatted. I have done it several times now, could do it in my sleep :)

Regards

Well I didn't want to overlook the obvious. It took me a few times to get this right and I have forgotten to install Chameleon in the past. :D

I also have problems with Disk Utility formatting and restoring images to USB cards. This happened creating a Lion USB. You mentioned using this USB for other installs...did you reformat fresh for the OS X install? Maybe something left over from Windows? USBs are known to corrupt data over time.

I will defer to others who know more but I would probably reformat the USB and start from scratch. I have used 8 GB and 32GB USB for install. So I don't think size is an issue. I am still new at this ....

Good Luck,

Freedomrock