E7240 on Sierra working great except for two issues.

jbzcar

Hello, all! I have Sierra 10.12.5 up and running on my E7240 (i7, 8GB, 240GB SSD, 1080p) and have just about everything working. QE/CI, HDMI, sound, SpeedStep and Turbo, WiFi (AR9285), touchpad and keyboard, battery, backlight control, all USB, iMessage/Facetime all work perfectly. Running Clover with patched DSDT and generated SSDT. The only two problems I have are these:

1. Opening the lid when awake (clamshell mode) or in sleep mode causes the laptop to reboot. I suspect it has to do something with enabling the internal screen, as I can quickly open and close the lid when asleep in clamshell and the external monitor comes right up no problem, so it is resuming from sleep just fine.

2. Fan control is kinda messed up. The fan seems to not ramp up fast enough and never reaches full speed. Temps on the proc get up toward 200F under load at times and I am not comfortable with that.

Anyone have any ideas?

It's a vanilla Sierra install with Clover patches and kexts from the other various threads on this board for this model.

Thanks for any help!

• Moderators

Use the generic Clover guide. The boot files are posted in post#2

Use the Sierra bootpack for E7440_A20 under Haswell if you're installing Sierra 10.12.5. They are the same system except E7240 is a smaller version.

Read through the guide thoroughly a couple of times before trying. 

Post any issue or question when you get stuck.

Thanks Jake. I cant say enough how much we appreciate your hard work in this community. You make all this possible. Thanks man. I got it working all well but wifi/bluetooth doesnt work. Guess its not supported, which external combo card you recommend? Any usb ones? Thanks