Dell XPS L321X - El Capitan / Sierra Install

GatorGeek

Since you've made it to the installer, what I did was open Disk Utility, and formatted the SSD as GUID and Mac OS Extended Journaled.  It installed.  Then after getting in, convert GUID to MBR with Ubuntu, install Clover, and in theory you should be good.

I'm ready to try it your way. Can you describe the process to create the Ubuntu disk and convert from GUID to MBR?

"create on my USB the directory structure to add the OSInstall patched file"

so you created the directory manually?

I did create it manually, yes. [That attempt failed as described above.]

I made another attempt by reformatting my install_osx partition and extracting the contents of BaseSystem.dmg and the Packages folder from Install ESD.  That attempt created the folder structure that was in the contents of BaseSystem.dmg  From there, I had the appropriate Frameworks folder structure necessary to copy the OSInstall patch into (overwriting the existing).  (This process is basically the instructions for installing the MBR at the InsanelyMac link.)  [This process failed, too.]

Undoubtedly, I am missing something simple...but I keep missing it in every attempt. Maybe time to try something new.

[For what it's worth, I've also tried creating an installer using Pandora's Box...that didn't get me anywhere either.]

I'm ready to try it your way. Can you describe the process to create the Ubuntu disk and convert from GUID to MBR?

creating ubuntu live usb:

https://usbubuntu.wordpress.com/make-usb/

GUID to MBR:

https://www.tonycrapx86.com/threads/success-intel-dh67gd-core-i7-2600k-hd3000-ml-10-8-2.77676/#post-520519

see step 16.

Keep in mind, install Clover to HDD after this conversion.  I did mine while it was still GUID so mines all sorts of crazy booting using clover on same partition as macos but then pulls clover config.plist/kexts from the hidden efi folder, which is a pita to mount and view until you know the trick.  Take my experience and dont do this and just install clover after the conversion lol.  I just dont really want to start all the way over.

So, surprising discovery.  Apparently this laptop can boot UEFI.  If you tap the right arrow rapidly on first startup it should give you an EFI boot menu.  I was able to boot a UEFI usb stick with it.  Unfortunately I cant find a way to use this exclusively over BIOS, so BIOS/Legacy is the only way to boot without intervention, but it definitely goes to say its probably just a bios unlock away.

So, surprising discovery.  Apparently this laptop can boot UEFI.  If you tap the right arrow rapidly on first startup it should give you an EFI boot menu.  I was able to boot a UEFI usb stick with it.  Unfortunately I cant find a way to use this exclusively over BIOS, so BIOS/Legacy is the only way to boot without intervention, but it definitely goes to say its probably just a bios unlock away.

I think I've encountered that "Boot Manager" window and wondered if it was useable for UEFI.

Is there any clues about it in the Dell documentation?

I think I've encountered that "Boot Manager" window and wondered if it was useable for UEFI.

Is there any clues about it in the Dell documentation?

I cant find anything about it.  I definitely did boot Clover from a UEFI boot usb i had from a previous laptop, and it came right up.  This same USB wont boot from the BIOS options, so the laptop has the ability to boot UEFI and apparently Dell is hiding it and not letting it be a standard option.

I've made some progress from earlier today using the Ubuntu method to convert my disk from GPT to MBR.

post-90490-0-29551200-1501902744_thumb.png

I've got some tweaking to do to get Audio working, Battery percentage and some other things, but at least I'm moving forward again.

I sincerely appreciate appreciate all the suggestions and assistance.

Here's my bootpack with addition to the USBXHCI_FL1009.kext from your files

The flickering only occurred after wake from sleep, fine on boot.

Just notice the webcam doesn't work on your files either.

I've made some progress from earlier today using the Ubuntu method to convert my disk from GPT to MBR.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-08-04 at 10.09.49 PM.png

I've got some tweaking to do to get Audio working, Battery percentage and some other things, but at least I'm moving forward again.

I sincerely appreciate appreciate all the suggestions and assistance.

Using the kexts/ddst from the above quoted post should give you working audio and battery.  I attached my config.plist since his hd3000 tweaks caused so many artifacts on mine.  Only thing i dont have working is sleep on lid close (sleep pressing the sleep button works, and audio works after sleep), and brightness

config.plist.zip