[FIXED] Help to install Sierra on E5520 with Legacy Clover

dpw95

• Moderators

Why don't you try using the Config.plist from the E6220, but keep the rest of the files of E5520 and see if it boots. You might have to enable dual link in the E6220 config file if you have resolution of 1600x900 and up.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jake,

Results here, odd as they may be:

Test #1:  config.plist from the E6620 boot pack in tandem with the ACPI and kexts folders from the E5520

Result:  did not work (circle-slash icon)

Test #2:  config.plist from E5520 boot pack in tandem with the ACPI and kexts folders from the E6620

Result:  boots to installer

Test #3:  config.plist and ACPI folder from E5520 boot pack in tandem with the kexts folders from the E6620

Result:  did not work (drops to a foggy / scrambled screen)

Test #4:  config.plist and kexts folders from the E6620 boot pack in tandem with the ACPI folder from E5520 boot pack

Result:  did not work (drops to a foggy / scrambled screen)

Note:  results of tests 3 & 4 imply that the E5520's ACPI files cannot be used at this time

Test #5:  config.plist and kexts folders from the E5520 boot pack in tandem with the ACPI folder from E6620 boot pack

Test #6:  config.plist from the E5520 boot pack, in tandem with the ACPI folder from E6620 boot pack, with the kexts folder of the E5520 boot pack & its contents being manually replaced with those of the E6620 boot pack's kexts folder

Note:  This is weird to me, because it would seem that this should have the same outcome as test 2.  The purpose of this test was to see if there was a certain kext file here that was causing the failure from test 5.

Takeaways:

- cannot use the E5520 boot pack's ACPI folder

- cannot use the E5520 boot pack's kexts folder

- can use the E5520 config.plist file with the E6620's ACPI and kexts folders

• Moderators

Ok, give this a try

Bootpack now included:

• kexts and Config from E6220
  • Remove IntelMausiEthernet and add BCM5722D because the E5520 has a Broadcom card, not Intel
  • Repatched E5520 DSDT with same patches used in E6220

Thanks for testing this...

I'll look to test this out later this evening.

As a side note, one of the things I have had with this unit is that it's a coin toss for whether the trackpad & point stick will work each boot.  There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this.  I just keep restarting until it works.  Sometimes I'm lucky and need just one restart, but other times I have to do it close to 10x before this functions again.

Is there a known kext that I would be well served to retrieve and add to the system?

• Moderators

If you're using my latest bootpack, VoodooPS2ControllerR6  (Alps) is the latest version from Dr. Hurt. I have not encounter such issue. Perhaps you could install it to /L/E and have it cached.

Just make sure you don't have more than 1 PS2Controller in the system.

Check /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, /L/E, and /S/L/E.  /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 as well if you have it.

Thanks Jake!

The ACPI folder & its contents from post 35 here has been added to the contents extracted from the EFI_4077.zip file.

The config.plist file, as well as the kexts folder & its contents from the E6220_A13.zip boot pack were also added.

As noted, the IntelMausiEthernet file was removed from EFI\CLOVER\KEXTS\OTHER, and the BCM5722D has been added there.

This boots successfully to the installer!

Would you want for me to do another test with this setup, but with the config.plist file that's included in your E5520 boot pack instead?