[SOLVED] E6420 Sierra Optimus Enabled for HD3000 graphics - Graphic freezes

nisi80

Hi guys,

I updates my Latitude to Sierra, but had to disable the NVS4200M in the BIOS and go with the HD3000 graphics.

Now, I am facing problems during work: when I start the Photos App or Safari and download a file, the display freeze, sometimes the mouse can be moved, but nothing reacts any longer. I see activity for the HDD and system seem to work, but screen refresh seems to hang.

Does anybody is facing the same?

I used the clover guide https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-clover-guide/

and the Sierra bootpack for the E6420.

Today I reinstalled El Capitan, also with Intel HD3000 graphics and had the same issues.

I went back to NS4200M with El Capitan, which is working smoothly.

Hope you have some hints, what the problem is, perhaps a HW issue?

Yesterday, also the El Capitan install with NVS4200M freezed while the fotos app reintialized the database.

I saw in iStatMenue, that the CPU temp goes up to 99 degree celsius.

I think I have a thermal issue with my latitude and checked the heatsink and the thermal resistance.

After renew the thermal pads of the chipset and GPU and the thermal paste on the CPU it seems to work now, with HD3000.

Today I reinstalled Sierra and up to now, everything works, after disabling Hyperthreading and reduce the core number to 2 (dual core).

Will see, how long the system went stable.

Found out, that the issue could possibly be caused by the time machine backup.

I installed a complete empty user and everything works on both machines.

It could possibly be caused by an old application (iStatMenu, Adobe, corrupt Photo-database,...)

Solved!!!