Converting a volume of an MBR SSD to GUID via terminal using usb mac installer

Laxman

I did that, deleted, created new volume there but windows cant install because it has a mbr partition table , on efi systems windows can only be installed on gpt disks. I guess windows reads my hfs as mbr whenbooted from uefi. Help please

• Moderators

I should not be MBR if you have formatted the drive to GPT as you had stated earlier.

You should delete the partition from OS X and let formatted to Extended Journal.

====To dual boot (UEFI Only)===============================

- First create 2 partitions Extended Journal when installing OS X. Make sure to jot down the size so you won't wipe out the wrong partition when you install Windows on it later.

Hint: don't make both the same size

- Use Disk Utility to prepare a Mac OS X Extended partitions (don’t ever use Fat32, Disk Utility will mess up your drive)

- After installing OS X, everything all setup. Then install Windows

- Create a FAT32 usb drive, extract Windows 10 64-bit iso there (done on a Windows system)

- Boot to Win10 usb drive, select custom install, locate the partition that is not OS X, delete it. Then select it (unallocated space) format it to NTFS, install Windows there.

- Windows will automatically boots back to Windows. Install all drivers...etc.

- Now to fix the boot option

- Go to BIOS, create boot option. Browse to /EFI/Clover/Cloverx64.efi, give it a Name. Now move the Clover boot entry to top.

- Save and reboot. Now you'll see the option to boot Windows or OS X from the Clover GUI.

To fix the time in Windows, launch regedit

navigate to 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

create a DWORD (32 bit) value, name it RealTimeIsUniversal. Set the value to 1.

Exit 

Boot to OSX, then reboot to Windows. You should see time is correctly sync'd up.

Appreciate the detailed guide so much. I tried booting in and out of UEFI modes and  both ways windows identified it as MBR partition. I clearly formatted the second partition, named as windows and have attempted several times but still the same error.  

I beg your pardon, I just used disk utility to format both drives into Extended journaled and attempted windows installation. Only  thing I lack is the usb formatted in windows as Fat 32 coz it was made with bootcamp with win 10. is that the problem?

• Moderators

Make sure it's also GUID (GPT) and not MBR when you format and create the partitions. I too, format USB to Fat32 and export the ISO file into the USB. Boots to UEFI fine and install without any issue.

"depending on the model the trackpad kext might need to be updated to a compatible version as it might cause a kernel panic."

which kext?, and I am on an e7240. is there an updated kext for sierra? I looked but cldnt find.